Avi grain quality

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jebtech95

Is it me or seed in nsw has been pretty bad lately especially avigrain

Seeds look old and heaps of rubbish in there
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In WA they seem to be putting different seeds in the mixs. The red pannicum is no longer red pannicum but a slightly bigger red seed. So instead of being the 1st seed the birds eat it is now the last. The french white millett was replaced for some time with some other white millett thats name began with a c. Had the effect that birds ate the outer layer and left the inner, high waste. Fortunately french white millett is back.
LML
Alf63

The larger red seed is probably Red Dakota which adds colour and little else. My birds refuse to take it. Unfortunately commercial seed mixes no matter the reputation are made to a price with the cheapest most available varieties included.

It isn't viable for most people but if possible buy bags of individual seeds (Plain Canary, White Millet, Red and/or Yellow Pannicum) and either mix your own or feed separately.

Best alternative is to buy your mixes from the growers/seed merchants that sell Australian grown product at most bird sales
Misso

Jebtech95 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 20:44 Is it me or seed in nsw has been pretty bad lately especially avigrain

Seeds look old and heaps of rubbish in there
found avigrain to be very hit and miss espcially the last few years, covid, droughts, floods etc have all been factors, i know they use local and imported seed pending availability, couple times recently there bags of aus red pannicum have been rubbish with different seeds mixed in.

just brought 4 bags of avigrain finch blue the other day, not too much rubbish and all seeds sprouted nicely.
Sapperfinch

Went to the local stock feeds the other day been using since 1992 always reliable. I inquired about jap millet was told they haven’t bagged it for a good while & chances are it is imported is this the case or do I search further afield ?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jap does seem to be very hard to get anywhere here in the west Sapper.
LML
Craig52

I think you will find jap millet has been replaced with shiroe? It looks similar but slightly different colour and it's slightly larger in size. My birds didn't eat much of it but others said theirs loved it.
Siberian millet is another, my birds went crazy on the stuff but I had to buy it from Queensland and bring it back myself.
You can still buy jap millet from reputable seed merchants but most finch seed mixes are made to a price using what ever they can buy bulk and cheap these days. It's best to go to a seed merchant and buy separately and mix your own or get them to make your personal mix for you, might be a bit dearer but get what you pay for.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shiroe is what turns up most of the time you ask for jap. Mothers show budgies have had their seed mixed to her specifications by her for 30yrs, and it's never been so hard to get what you ask for.
LML
Gav

We are extremely lucky here in south East QLD with seed. Most people purchase seed from Australian Wildlife Supplies. Ray is a great bloke and only uses Australian grown quality seed.
I highly recommend them.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The States major budgie breeders banded together here, made their own mix and placed a standing order with one of the states biggest growers down south. Since then things have been much better. The mix is also great for most finches. Only hiccup is occassional sunflower seeds turning up - think it is the bagging facitity not being fully cleaned between runs. But we have had a very low rain season over here - yes you guys on the other side got all the rain. So we will see if the quality keeps up,
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”