Gouldian question

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Gympie birds

Hi everyone it’s been a while. As breeding season is fast approaching for Goudlain finches, I would like advice on what colour birds I should be putting together. I have just recently brought 2 aus yellow males all have white heads and one double factor yellow backed male with a yellow head. They are in a avairy with two hens one is a aus yellow white head hen and her daughter is a cross between a aus yellow and European yellow ( purple brested white head male ). I have one spare male and would like to see what other colours of gouldians that I could pair with him. I have normal black head Goudlains hens, white chested black head hens , red white chest hen and a yellow normal hen. What colour would suit a yellow male ? Does anyone know what colours you would get when pairing up these birds ? Thanks for your time kind regards Gympie birds
Gympie birds

Yellow normal hen is a yellow headed normal hen sorry I thought I would clear This up.
Gympie birds

Sorry forgot to add I don’t won’t to buy a hen as I have bred a few hens and would like to use some for my breeding pairs. That is why I am wanting to know the colours I have what is the best pairing. Thanks for your time kind regards Gympie birds
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.gouldianfinches.eu/en/genetics-forecast/
This is the best option.
Australian and European yellow should not be mixed. Though it is a common rookie mistake. I know because I did it years back. :(
LML
Gympie birds

Thanks for the feed back. I tend to breed mutations and normals all on the same avairy as they can pick there own partners. Unfortunately at the time I did not have a aus yellow male so I had to use a European male.
Craig52

That's no excuse, you are treating your birds as different colours not different mutations or modes of inheritance being sexlinked or autosomal recessive. It just stuffs up the purity of the mutation and on selling of mongrel birds that you breed to others not in the know. Sorry to be harsh but please do not mix mutations of different inheritance
Gympie birds

No problem good to know. Thanks for the advice, I have all my yellows in one avairy, dilutes and normals in one white chests in another. They are a re in different aviaries. I just wanted to know what colours you would get if you cross different mutations.
Gympie birds

As for the comment I am not in the know. I know what pairs of birds pair up and what colour there parent was a I keep records if I do have to cross mutations and I tell the buyer what colour the parents areas I have nothing to hide. I have brought birds from breeders that do not share this information with me so I don’t know what the parents where to start with some of the mutations. As for mutations the line breeding of birds to begin a mutation makes the birds weak compared to the wild type and more prone to diseases. I found if a normal bird and a mutation cross and then I cross back to mutation to get stronger and better pure mutation stock. Thanks
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As for mutations the line breeding of birds to begin a mutation makes the birds weak compared to the wild type and more prone to diseases.
This is a commonly held opinion - and correct in so far as it goes. But. All stock is as strong as the genetics of the parents they came from. So normals can be weak, but are less likely to be. Mutations can be strong, but are less likely to be. Nothing is absolute in breeding any form of stock.
LML
Gympie birds

True thanks for the advice

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”