Vitamin E

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fitos100

Hello. i use Necton-E among others for my birds, almost 3 weeks before breeding season, to get them ready.
Although i have a question.
I know i must use Necton-E until i see the first egg. But when my first clutch is finish and the youngs are have moved, should i use again Necton-E before the second clutch or start??
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What sort of finches are you breeding? For what reason are you feeding them Nectron-E?
I feed my finches a healthy diet of fresh greens, clean water and fresh seed prior to the breeding season. That is all, but they get lots on natural sunshine here in Western Australia.
LML
fitos100

Sorry I forgot to mention I have gouldians.
Vitamin E helps me a lot i believe to get ready my birds. I only need to know if i need to give them again after the first clutch???
Misso

fitos100 wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 23:39 Hello. i use Necton-E among others for my birds, almost 3 weeks before breeding season, to get them ready.
Although i have a question.
I know i must use Necton-E until i see the first egg. But when my first clutch is finish and the youngs are have moved, should i use again Necton-E before the second clutch or start??
Hi, I don't think many breeders use the Nekton range here in Australia compared to some other brands we have access too.

I know its used a lot in Europe and America, I reckon you will get a better answer from the gouldian finch pages on facebook.

my understanding was to not use it anytime after the first egg of the season is laid.
fitos100

Actually is not about the brand but about the vitamin itself. should I use it again for the breeding season or after the 1st egg I stop until next year???
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my understanding was to not use it anytime after the first egg of the season is laid.
As per the reply above.
LML
Craig52

Vitamin E is used here as a sexual stimulant for birds but it is also good for feather structure in all age birds. Just use it if you feel they need it but it is not necessary if your birds are on a good diet that includes greens.
Birds only need minute amounts of any vitamins that they can get in good quality seed or greens and or livefoods so excess is just excreted in their droppings so very small amounts are needed for good health and breeding.
BrettB

I have not seen any literature on Vit E in birds other than chickens.
As a fat soluble vitamin, there is the potential for toxicity. More is not always better.
I suspect there are no studies on Gouldians, certainly none I have ever seen.
Whilst it is possible to make assumptions, based on what is good for chickens, these are not always accurate.
I suspect the answer to your question would be an educated guess at best.
Your best guide would be to stick to what regular uses of the product do, at least then you are likely to do no harm.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Breeding Finches”