Is there any solution?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fitos100

Hello. Some times my gouldians splitting their eggs and both parents are sitting on them the same time. But because one of them is not as as good as the other and stay out more time from the nest, eventually I think I lose fertile eggs.
When all the eggs are together and not split, I have more success. Does any one notice the same situation. Is there any solution?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is normal for Gouldians to take turns sitting on the eggs, not to sit at the same time. This is most odd behaviour. You are 100% sure those sitting at the same time are a pair?
LML
fitos100

Yes I have pairs which one of them is more protective than the other and spent more time in the nest.
but also i have nests, and while I checking them, I see group of eggs in different positions and both of the birds, sitting the same time. (proven pairs with fertile eggs.)
This is make me wonder if it's better to have more narrow nests.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought you would know. But very occassionally we get complete beginners asking questions. So start with the simple questions. Next question is another simple but far more often overlooked one. How many pairs in the avairy? How many nests in the avairy? Some birds are less happy to be seen in the nest than others as we all observe.
Re the nests is it possible to post a picture of the nests and their positioning in the avairy?
LML
fitos100

Not a beginner my friend, I'm breeding gouldians for a few years. I forgot to mention they are not in an aviary but I move them in cages, in pairs for breeding. I just noticed this behavior which I can't explain that's all.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fair enough. Definately unusual behaviour, not come accross this myself so can't offer any solutions. Sorry.
LML
fitos100

I know is unusual behavior and this is why I'm looking for an answer.

Return to “Breeding Finches”