Color Predictions (Gouldians)

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Devito2

swamp grass and november grass seem to be the favorite among finch breeders
essi

Devito2 wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 18:47 swamp grass and november grass seem to be the favorite among finch breeders
Thank you ! I'm not sure if I can get those here, but I may look into soft hay/Timothy hay like for guinea pigs/rabbits instead. I'll do a bit more research before I jump to that though.

I happened to be walking by the nest and noticed this odd baby ! I figure they may be a dilute, but I haven't seen one this light previously.

He looks nearly white, with a slightly shadowed head. The LIT photo is taken with a cool/blue light. the other photos are extremely close to natural lighting. To my naked eye, he looks just as white/color accurate as these photos ! could be a single factor something ? there's one that looks like a pastel as well. 😂 i know realistically i should just wait for them to fledge, but i can't help being curious !!!
PXL_20220713_225804473.jpg
PXL_20220713_225703044.jpg
PXL_20220713_225814900.jpg
PXL_20220713_225824844.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
essi

Sorry to double post, but thought it'd be fun to post the rest of the babies while mom and dad are out and about.

These were lit by a cool pen light, but the colors are still fairly accurate.

Two for sure greenies. One blue, two... Somethings. Although they are slightly different colors to each other, so perhaps male vs. female ? they can't produce male silvers. so perhaps pastel ?
PXL_20220714_000620721.jpg
PXL_20220714_000728516.jpg
PXL_20220714_000650549.jpg
PXL_20220714_000609600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by essi on 14 Jul 2022, 12:20, edited 3 times in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The very pale one looks like a silver.
LML
essi

finchbreeder wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 11:58 The very pale one looks like a silver.
I thought it looked a silver as well, but I found it interesting that as a baby it didn't appear so. The only 'obvious' silver I had was unfortunately the one that passed.

I suspect the slightly darker grey one may be a pastel. This pairing can make just this side of anything, but it's a bit fun to guess.
essi

babies have just started fledging/leaving the nest ! unfortunately, pre-fledging we lost the normal blueback. i suspected either protozoal or mites. we've had issues with mites in the past despite numerous treatments. it was just about time for their monthly treatment anyways, so i decided to hop on that. put them (and entire finch flock) on s76 for two days and will repeat next week and for the next few weeks. hit the cages with some avian insect liquidator as well.

on their fledging, i noticed one of the green babies is small small small. he looks stunted compared to the others. i was also worried parents weren't feeding the babies after they started fledging, but i caught mum feeding the pastel. with just the little little one inside and the silver going in and out of the nest, i'm hoping the littlest one will be able to catch up with more one on one from dad. i may drop a couple handfeedings on the youngest throughout the day. i got him to fill up on a bit of formula earlier and i'm hoping that'll give him a little kickstart.

Return to “Breeding Finches”