Color Predictions (Gouldians)

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
essi

I have a few color predictions regarding my first clutch of gouldians and was curious what other, better eyes might say.

*Please note that I do not regularly handle the babies. I had them out this one time because I noticed one was missing and was removing the body from the nest. It was half buried under the other babies and rotting. It was the lightest one in the photos of the inside of the nest.

Father was an interesting color as a baby. On his baby colors, I had assumed he was going to be blue because of his dark grey color, no sign of green anywhere. After fledging, he looks more as a typical dilute with a red face. Mother is a blueback.
PXL_20220626_180712659.jpg
PXL_20220628_153658568.jpg
PXL_20220628_153651987.jpg
PXL_20220626_180728515.jpg
PXL_20220628_153624255.jpg
Sorry if I’m in the wrong forum !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I find natural grass a better nesting material than string. Have had string cut off circulation to finches feet. Some of the Gouldian colour wizzes will get to you in due course I expect. Congratulations on a nice clutch. PS dad birds dark colour as a chick May be an indication that he is split blue?
LML
Devito2

3 blues 2 split to blues
essi

finchbreeder wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 14:33 I find natural grass a better nesting material than string. Have had string cut off circulation to finches feet. Some of the Gouldian colour wizzes will get to you in due course I expect. Congratulations on a nice clutch. PS dad birds dark colour as a chick May be an indication that he is split blue?
i actually typically prefer to use coconut fiber. this time around, we used jute which i haven't had an issue with in the past (societies, zebras), but i needed sort of a 'quick' nest for my bad nest builders. 😂 i have pairs that do incredible work with the coconut and i'd likely try going back to that in the future. i'll keep a close eye on the jute this time around and keep your comment in mind, however. i'd rather not risk it. tbqh i had no real clue what jute was made of and if it counted as string until now, definitely not something i want !

i did suspect he could be split blue, but he was my mystery child ! i let them pair for 'love' if you will, so i was in slight despair about their color chances (however, i still prefer to breed as such) until these babies showed up and i got an inkling something else might be going on. 😂
essi

Devito2 wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 18:26 3 blues 2 split to blues
ahhh so i guess my eyes weren't deceiving me ! i thought maybe i was convincing my brain to see what i wanted to see, ha. their lovely mum and dad are just fantastic parents.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"we used jute which i haven't had an issue with in the past (societies, zebras), but i needed sort of a 'quick' nest for my bad nest builders"
I know what you mean - because I only had problems a couple of times over many years - but - it is devestating trying to save a bird that is hanging in midair by a bound leg which is being cut through by the fine thread. So I gave it away completely.
LML
elferoz777

I agree 3 blue and 2 normal.
nice photos
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Devito2

looks like u have a silver aswell in first pic
essi

finchbreeder wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 14:56 "we used jute which i haven't had an issue with in the past (societies, zebras), but i needed sort of a 'quick' nest for my bad nest builders"
I know what you mean - because I only had problems a couple of times over many years - but - it is devestating trying to save a bird that is hanging in midair by a bound leg which is being cut through by the fine thread. So I gave it away completely.
i'll have to switch them back to coco fiber in the future. i've dealt with dangling birds and cut-off leg issues before, but not from nesting material (and not my own birds.) they can lose an upsetting amount of blood very quickly for such frighteningly tiny birds. is there a specific grass that you use ? or do you mean, outdoor grasses ? i might look into switching to something like what they have for their hanging preening toys. i think it may be corn husk ? i'm not entirely sure.
Devito2 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 20:13 looks like u have a silver aswell in first pic
i suspected he was a silver. unfortunately he didn't make it. i'm not positive if he was younger than the others or if him being a different color led to him not being fed, or, and most likely, that they simply just had too many chicks for them to handle and he got edged out. they've been great parents through and through so i won't hold the one against them, although it is a shame to lose any babies.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use a mix of grasses, couch grass, lemon grass, lawn grass, weed grass. any grasses really.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”