Help with sexing a pair of gouldians and other questions

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Diveks

Hello, i am new to the forum and i got a pair of gouldians to add to my aviary. They are in a temporary cage to get them used to the food and feeder in the aviary. They are in with a young pair of red siskins also awaiting the aviary. They seem to be getting along well. They have access to 2 types of food and seem to favor their mix over the other.

While i do have experience with canaries and parrots, this is my second pair of gouldians and my other ones are the typical coloured gouldians. These ones, i can’t seem to tell the female over the male since i don’t have anything to compare them to.

Also would like to know how many pairs of finches would fit in the a 4x4x3 meter aviary (a mix of artificial and live plants)? I also am interested in zebra finches and long tailed paradise finches but heard they get pretty pushy. Any info on their behaviors?

More abiut the gouldians (i can take more pictures of them if those are needed) one is pastel coloured while the other is yellow. Not sure if i posted the pics correctly.
Diveks

whoops think the pics were not property posted let me try again.
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.22.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.22.01 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.22.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.22.00 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.21.59 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.21.59 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 2.21.58 PM.jpeg
the "pastel" one seems to sing a lot. seller said the female was the pastel and the male was the yellow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The single factor (pastel) yellow gouldian is a male, as single factor is not genetically able to be female.
I think the yellow is a female, but not 100% sure.
What is the cock bird doing in the pics? He seems to be sitting with his head held most oddly.
Please note - top line comments apply only to non visually yellow birds.
Last edited by finchbreeder on 15 Jul 2022, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
LML
Diveks

finchbreeder wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 22:29 The single factor (pastel) yellow gouldian is a male, as single factor is not genetically able to be female.
What is the cock bird doing in the pics? He seems to be sitting with his head held most oddly.
oh that explains all the singing, the yellow might be the female then? or maybe they are both males i sure hope not! how do i confirm the yellow is a female. Oh nothings wrong with the male i think, i took these pics at night so the male was in and out of sleep some of the pics was when the male was falling asleep. a bit hard to take their pics when they are fully awake zipping around.
Diveks

finchbreeder wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 22:29 The single factor (pastel) yellow gouldian is a male, as single factor is not genetically able to be female.
oh sorry by single factor you were referring to the purple chested one right? is there any way to accurately sex the other one or would DNA testing be the best option?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With a bit of luck, one of the "better at gouldians" members will jump in and answer further for you.
Single factor yellow Gouldians have that blue/gray circle round their face colour where normals have black. That is how you know they are not Pastel, but actually single factor yellow males. Yes we all got caught the 1st time we bought one.
LML
Devito2

purple breast is a cock and the white breast is a hen. the birds look sick or very cold, if you dont have cold weather i would treat them for mites.
Craig52

Fb they are both single factor Euro yellow. Hens always come out yellow back where cocks are the yellowy green colour but to throw a spanner in the works if a sfey cock bird has a white breast its back will be yellow like the hen. In saying that they are a true pr.
Diveks

finchbreeder wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 16:09 With a bit of luck, one of the "better at gouldians" members will jump in and answer further for you.
Single factor yellow Gouldians have that blue/gray circle round their face colour where normals have black. That is how you know they are not Pastel, but actually single factor yellow males. Yes we all got caught the 1st time we bought one.
Oh wow thanks i didn’t know that about them :crazy: . Well… guess thats why they sold them for cheap. I was haggling down the price of the “normals” when they just said they would give me pastels for the price of a “normal” should the single factors sell more than the “normals”?
Diveks

Craig52 wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 20:11 Fb they are both single factor Euro yellow. Hens always come out yellow back where cocks are the yellowy green colour but to throw a spanner in the works if a sfey cock bird has a white breast its back will be yellow like the hen. In saying that they are a true pr.
Ah okay thanks for the info! glad they are a pair, the seller said their genders were the opposite, i mean they are canary breeders and just sold 2 pairs so i guess i don’t blame them, at least i got a pair.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”