How high should the water be?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jessica

I have Lady Gouldian finches arriving tomorrow! I am so utterly excited! But I attached the waterers above a branch. This puts the water level 2 1/2" above the branch. All pictures of wild finches shows them drinking from ponds so putting their heads down. I don't want them to have to climb onto the wires so they can drink - I want them standing on the branch instead. :-O

What is the best height for the waterer to be (top of water level) from a branch which is best for Gouldian finches but also would work for Double-Barred Owl finches? I don't have the Owls yet but plan to get a pair soon! Ideas appreciated!!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My finches drink out of bowls on the ground. This as you have observed in the pictures of them in nature is where they expect water to be. However, they can and do learn to drink from drinkers on the side of the cage. These are best placed with the top of the water level with the top of the branch, from my observations over a number of years. I would be concerned that the birds would not be able to drink accept be hanging on the wire above the drinkers if you put them further up. Yes I have Double Bars (Owls) and Gouldians, amongst others.
LML
Craig52

Be aware that some finches might not know what a drinker is and die very quickly with out water.
A bowl of water on the floor won't go astray for for a few days or more. Finches love bathing as well in shallow water.
Jessica

Oh thank you both so much! Finchbreeder - I have several water syphons throughout the cage as well as large baths! Craig52, I shall also put a pinchbowl of water on the floor until I can watch and verify that they drink from the syphons. I shall also place the water level at level with branch! This forum - and you both - ROCK!!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that I have seen the pic of your setup, I think the water will not be a problem. Though the bath will probably be their 1st choice of drinking spot. Birds do not have the same rules as people about not drinking the bath water. :think:
LML
Jessica

I changed the waterers already to be next to the branches instead of above them and the greenback male and the blueback female both drink from it. I had also placed a pinch bowl of water on the floor (not in a poop zone) and I've seen most of them drink from it as well. In fact, as we speak, the blueback male has climbed into the pinch bowl and is trying to take a bath!! SILLY BIRD - I gave you a HUGE bath if you just look! hahahha!

On their bath ... I read they can drink it so I plan to change their bath water every day (once they start using them). I hope they do! Those parrot baths cost a lot of money! Thank you so much for responding!
Sapperfinch

I find all my birds prefer to stand mostly on the top of the solar fountain to drink & bath in the shallow Roy off
Jessica

Ah. Thanks! My birds are in indoor cages. I wonder if solar fountain would work under these lights!?!
Jessica

Anyway, they all now drink daily from the syphon waterers so I removed the pinch bowls. They also now bathe in the large parrot baths I gave them and only occasionally drink from them. :-)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to hear they have it all worked out.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”