Saving a Black cheek Zebra Finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
FinchCanaryBreeder

I've been trying to kid myself that its something that I'm doing or not doing or thinking that I can save them but every time I think about it, one of the finches was already ill when I bought them I just didn't notice plus the breeder was eager to get rid of them and even gave me some free finches in with the ones I paid for. They were very cheap.

The illness was already there when I bought them and its been slowly spreading to the others. The sick ones tend to sit in the light and sunny spots where the sunlight comes in through the window.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is definately sounding as if there was an illness in the group you aquired.
With luck some of them will be stronger and more disease resistant and hang in there till you can give them some medication.
Best of luck for at least some good news.
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

I hope some of them will be stronger and more disease resistant, I know I will lose my last black cheek finch for sure and then another one or two finches will fall ill. The process is at a slow rate now so hopefully I can get them something in January, Ivermectin and an antibiotic of some sort. I'll try Ivermectin first whenever I can lay my hands on some and wait to see if there are any improvements and if not then I will need to look into antibiotics which is a lot more tricky to get and finding the correct type.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Something like "Spark" after the Ivermectin to boost their system seems to do birds good.
It is a fact that in all creatures and communities their is a mix of disease resistance. So I hope that you are indeed seeing the strong ones fight off whatever this is with natural immunity.
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

Hopefully fingers crossed.

I can't get Spark here in the UK unless I find a overseas seller who is willing to import it, I'm sure there must be a UK version of it under another name.

I have some finch chicks this morning that must have hatched last night and the parents are feeding them, these are one of the healthy pairs but I'm not going to hold my hopes too high at this stage as other finches have the illness there is a long way to go before I get a successful breed. The parents could potentially fall ill during the time of raising there chicks.

It wouldn't be so bad if one or two pairs survived because breeding them I'd soon get my numbers back up.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck with the new little family. :thumbup:
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

Just an update...

The black cheek finch is still alive and its being treated with medication... well all of the flock are being treated but I don't hold out to much hope for the poorly finch. On the positive side there has been some improvement in the remaining flock so I'm making progress, the treatment could take sometime.

I have two chicks in one of the nest boxes, they look good and are growing nicely. The parents are looking after them so that is a good sign. I'd hate to speak too soon... if these chicks progress into adults they will be my first ever successful chicks. I've lost every single chick as well as adult birds prior to that due to this outbreak so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these two chicks that are coming along nicely.

The canary is also singing every day and only healthy canaries sing so that is a good sign things are looking more positive.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only healthy canaries in breeding condition sing. They do not sing all year round even if healthy. So good news for you.
Hope all your remaining birds can now make a full recovery.
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

I'm about to throw the towel with these finches. Its getting really frustrating now.

They are not looking good this morning. Nearly all the finches, feathers are ruffed up, itching like crazy. I know its not parasites. None of them are laying any live eggs apart from one hen who has two chicks.

Some have there heads tucked, you can see in there eyes they are very sick and nothing is working. The sick ones have discolored beaks.I found some eggs in there food bowl, they are laying a lot of eggs but no chicks.

The Canaries are completely fine which are kept in the same aviary so the illness is only effecting the zebra finches. I'm expected to lose a few a month and no chicks. The most poorly finch hasn't got long to go and his hen is now sick too so she be next after him.

I may have to just give up with finch keeping because I can't find the reason why nothing is working or what I need to save them. My new finch hobby has been short lived. I don't know if I want to watch anymore finches suffer.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can you post pics? I donl;t know that it will help, but it can't hurt.
Are you certain that they were kept in the same enclosure before you got them?
LML

Return to “Finch Health”