When to separate Gouldian pairs after breeding?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
gschneiders

So I am in a dilema. I have two colony cages, one for each sex of Gouldian finches. These are side by side, however, the view between them is totally blocked so males and females don’t see each other. Additionally, I have one breeding cage.

I had one pair of gouldians in the breeding cage, which resulted in 3 chicks, now a bit over 70 days old, fully weaned. Each colony cage had 3 birds that I decided not to breed this year.

The three chicks are fully independent. I do not intend to let the parents have anymore clutches either, however, the hen kept trying to make nests in the feeders. I decided then to break the pair, and moved each one to their each respective colony cage, leaving the three chicks in the breeding cage.

The issue I am having is that the hen is very vocal, restless flying in the colony cage. The male on the other hand seems a bit apathetic, however singing and eating.

The question is, when is the proper time to separate the Gouldian pair from each other? Should I leave the pair together until they start the molt, then I can move them back to the colony cages?

The chicks don’t seem to mind the parents being away. They are very active and playful.

Thanks in advance!
G.S., PhD
Poultry Scientist
Amateur Gouldian Keeper
BrettB

Gouldians will breed all the year if you let them
Personally I put in the nest boxes in February (two months after the moult is completed), and remove them after the birds have had two nests.
This allows my young birds to mature prior to the next moult.
January and February are very hot months in Perth, which is why I delay it until most of the very hot weather is over.
Obviously in the USA the seasons are reversed

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
gschneiders

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the comment. My question is if I am doing it right separating the pair before the breeding season is over. The hen seems very distressed about being moved to another cage.

I do not intend to breed anymore this season. I don’t like to sell the chicks, so I just breed a few chicks each year.

Cheers,

GS

BrettB wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 11:43 Gouldians will breed all the year if you let them
Personally I put in the nest boxes in February (two months after the moult is completed), and remove them after the birds have had two nests.
This allows my young birds to mature prior to the next moult.
January and February are very hot months in Perth, which is why I delay it until most of the very hot weather is over.
Obviously in the USA the seasons are reversed

Cheers
Brett
G.S., PhD
Poultry Scientist
Amateur Gouldian Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't want them to continue breeding and the cock is not distressed. You have only 2 choices.
The hen goes in with the other hens, or she stays with her young to keep them company. The 2nd may be less stressful to her, as long as you have removed the nest.
From the description of her behaviour she is still in breeding condition so rather peeved with you for curtailing her activities.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”