Reusing nest materials?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jessica

This question must be so dumb that I can't find anyone talking about it ANYWHERE on the internet, hahah! I have Gouldians building two nests and, actually are incubating and still adding to their nest. I am going through coco fiber like crazy! I'm trying to figure how much I need and, can I reuse it after they have fledged these chicks? Not sure if I can wash it, nuke it, and use it next year?

Dumb question, huh?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once they have raised a batch of chicks, they will refurbish the nest for the 2nd round, and maybe even a 3rd.
Generally I provide lengths of grass, shreaded white tissues and feathers for my birds to nest. This way I can just toss it in the compost at the end of each season.
New nesting material each season is easy this way.
LML
Jessica

Okay, thank you. We have active compost plus red wiggler bins so the used nests won't go to waste. Regarding using feathers - I've never been around birds when they are molting. You mean save up THEIR feathers and also use them for their nests? Would I nuke them first, wash them or do you mean buy feathers? I had also bought timothy hay and those wheels and bags of 'mixed stuff' along with the coco fiber.

They're given this mix in a large 'parrot bath' which sits on the outside of the cage and they all go in and take what they want. Does timothy hay count as 'grass'? White tissues as in kleenex? Toilet paper? Or paper towels? I'll add them to their stash!
BrettB

I find my Gouldians vary greatly in the amount of nesting material used.
Some hardly any, others stuff the boxes full.
I always throw it out afterwards as the chicks poo in the nest and there is a risk of disease.
I have no idea what is around in mid winter in Oregon !!
Natural fibres are preferred, and I just use grass. Hay would work, even meadow hay. Couch grass is what mine prefer
Collect a bag next summer and it will last you all year.
I put a handful in the nest when I place the boxes in the cage and toss the rest on the floor for them to collect when required

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Jessica

This is my black head blue back's way of building a nest! He's a first year but he must have studied under Frank Lloyd Wright! :lol:

Added: Brett said, "I have no idea what is around in mid winter in Oregon !!" not much where we're at and I'll be buying bedding anyway since I would worry about bringing in bugs and my mom would kill me! Thank you for the input!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like Brett, I use chiefly lawn grass like couch. It is by far their favourite. But I also find they like lemon grass, which your mum might like you to grow for bird and kitchen use. I grow mine in big pots on the patio.
LML
Jessica

Ah - finally found it! It's called Quackgrass here! I don't think we have any on this property but there is 37 acres which includes some forested areas and creek so I'll bet there is some on this property! I shall hunt for it next year! Thank you both very much! I also found lemon grass on Amazon and I plan on trying to grow it. In fact, I have tiny planters that I want to put in the cages with top covered with 1/8" screen so they can't dig in it. And the planters will hang closer to the full spectrum lights and are self-watering so I'm hoping that they grow and I can switch them out as the finches nibble on them. At least that's my plan and I'm stickin' to it, ROF!

I will include Quackgrass to try that way also. It says it is highly invasive so I must be careful about it getting out. I can tell you horror stories about mint that got away from us - it's everywhere! I love mint but not so much of it. :-O Thank you both again - you don't know what this means to me!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.myhometurf.com.au/lawn-tips/couch-grass/
As Gouldians are not mad diggers you probably don't need to cover the pots. I don;t cover any I put in my avairies, but they all have sand floors anyway.
Quackgrass looks like it could be fine for nesting. Just cut off at ground level and give them the leaves then you don;t have to worry about it growing. Watch to make sure the wild birds are fine with it first, just in case it seems undesirable.
LML
Jessica

Thanks for the tip about not covering the pots. I was struggling to figure how to do that but still make it easy to remove the covers if/when needed! The link is also helpful.

Return to “Breeding Finches”