Pairing Gouldians for colors

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Craig52

In Australia the blue gene is generally weak so we breed a split blue to a blue. The split should be unrelated to keep the gene pool fresh and vibrant.
The information on the internet regarding breeding the same head colour is not correct and also unproven. Miss matching head colour have been bred for years with no problems at all. Most of this information has come from University students studying for degrees not from experience or from long time experiences of breeders.
Jessica

finchbreeder wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 11:58 Some people who develop mutations are not real cluey re genetics so do it the easy way...
I've never wanted things the easy way. Thank you finchbreeder. You've helped me a lot with this. I don't want to breed poor genes but I don't know what that might be except maybe blue with blue. But I'd like to check with you and Craig, if I may ... because I have a beautiful white Gouldian (a Silver) and I need to decide who to pair her with.

I have a pastel blue with black head and white breast that might be pretty! Or maybe a yellow back with red head? Or just a standard? Unfortunately, I don't have another Silver. So if you had a choice of mating her to any other Gouldian, what might that be? I don't want to weaken the gene pool, Craig, right?

They will have their own cage and I'll make sure she likes him but Madonna is a high-class chick so I want to do her right!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jessica

Craig52 wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 12:17 The information on the internet regarding breeding the same head colour is not correct and also unproven.
Ah yes, anyone can post a video on YouTube but not everyone has the experience, as you say. :thumbup:
Craig52

Best pairing would be a yellow back split to blue to get the same colour as her. Remember she is a yellow back but is also a blue that makes her white. The blue is autosomal recessive so all young be split to blue/blue yellow backs. With this mating you may even get a double factor blue male that will be totally white if it doesn't have a purple breast but a purple breasted double factor is a striking looking bird.
Jessica

Bless you, Craig! Well, my yellows (red head male and orange head female) are only yellow (AFAIK) but I DO have a blue back, straw head (you said that was yellow/black mix, I think). Would that be 'split to blue/blue yellow back? It has a white breast.

I also have a pastel blue with a black head and white breast and a solid blue with black head and white breast. Maybe I should wait and seek out a 'yellow back split to blue'? Does anyone have a picture of a Gould like this - yellow split to blue? I am excited to find her a good mate! I've got time, I think; I doubt I'd breed her this year. Her beak isn't black at all but I sure want to!

ADDED: On second thought ... yellows beaks don't turn black in females and Madonna is part yellow. It can be very confusing.

... but I love it. :clap:

ADDED AGAIN: Forget the part in bold (this has no strikeout?). I need to find a silver like her!! I get it now, Craig!!!
Last edited by Jessica on 12 Jan 2023, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica

I apologize for jumping the gun and not devoting sufficient time to what you'all say ... I think it is a curse of being a teen. ;-) and I'll strive to be more thoughtful in the future. ;-)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: When it comes to best pairings - I bow to Craigs superior knowledge in that area.
LML
Jessica

Craig52 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 15:57 Best pairing would be a yellow back split to blue to get the same colour as her. Remember she is a yellow back but is also a blue that makes her white. The blue is autosomal recessive so all young be split to blue/blue yellow backs. With this mating you may even get a double factor blue male that will be totally white if it doesn't have a purple breast but a purple breasted double factor is a striking looking bird.
Ok. My parents bought me Madonna for my birthday but they have drawn a line and are sticking firm with this - NO MORE BIRDS until one we have dies! So ... who do I kill? :twisted:

Kidding of course. I suspect my next option is to try and MAKE another silver. I'll still search for a silver male also though!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So ... who do I kill? :twisted:
Sort of response my children would have given about 15yrs ago. :thumbup:
Never enough avairies or finches - I do know the problem. :think:
LML
Jessica

ikr? We've been trying to talk dad into letting Jason's room become a large aviary. He's gone off to college and wouldn't care (much). :think: I bet all of you have gorgeous outdoor aviaries too since you are in Australia! I watch this lady a lot https://www.youtube.com/@Echosaviary and dream!

Return to “Breeding Finches”