Pairing Gouldians for colors

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jessica

I've been searching and reading everything. I found a 'color calculator' which shows what color the babies will be when breeding two Gouldians. My blueback blackhead whitebreast male is nesting with a greenback blackhead purple breast. I was told here by 'finchbreeder' (thank you) to tag the babies as 'split to blue.' Is 'split to blue' a good or bad thing?

Is it okay to let them choose their mates no matter their color? I saw video that breeding a red head with a black head could mean the female chicks would die and the male chicks only have a 50% chance (or some such similar warning). But someone else on internet said crossing green back with blue back STRENGTHENED the genetics.

Can someone tell me where I might find information on what the colors mean? You all talk about 'looks like dilute' or 'silver' or various phrases and I am clueless to what you all mean. Can you recommend books or links to explain this? Gouldians are confusing - it is almost like breeding different creatures together! If various color combinations aren't a good idea, I'd like to keep them from breeding and hurting the genetics of this species. Thank you. Oh and I love reading and I'm not afraid of heavy reading. :-)

UPDATED: I ask you'all about books because I know ANYONE can write a book. I want to read books to learn FACTS and not some hon-yawk's opinion on the subject. You, who actually breed them, are the experts - that's why I ask here for trustworthy authors or information.
BrettB

"Is it okay to let them choose their mates no matter their color?"
Absolutely, will not impact the viability in any way. In fact they generally breed better if you let them chose.

" If various color combinations aren't a good idea, I'd like to keep them from breeding and hurting the genetics of this species. "
No concerns here either, the genetics is so mixed up already in domestic birds that no combo can make it worse.
I guess you have little or no idea as to what the parentage of your birds are, so it is likely they are carrying recessive genes that you are unaware of.
Look on it as a lucky dip, it is always exciting to see what the chicks are like and you often get surprises

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Jessica

BrettB wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 21:53 I guess you have little or no idea as to what the parentage of your birds are, so it is likely they are carrying recessive genes that you are unaware of.
Oh! I think I might know! Because I've been reading how to add a band since finchbreeder said I should add a band to these babies (William and June Cash) to show they are 'split to blue' and two of the finches I got have bands already! Do the colors of these bands mean anything, like ... attached are my birds, their colors and the two birds with rings on their legs!!

William's right leg means he's split to green? And maybe the left band means he's split to white?
Kate's right band means she has a 'recessive gene of a yellow back? And maybe she has a split to green indicated on her left leg?

I bought these finches from a top respected breeder on the other side of the U.S. mid-November. I doubt he'd remember now what these birds' genetics although he sells several 'set colors' on his website so I think he keeps the finches isolated so he can breed for exact colors. Actually, Darling has an orange face with speckles of white like she didn't fully molt but she nonetheless is incubating 3 eggs along with Jim Dear! And William and June Cash are expecting as well. :-)

It is GREAT to know I can keep them in aviary setting (well, large flight cage and soon to be indoor aviary if I can talk my parents into using my older brother's old bedroom)! Thank you so so so much, Brett. It amazes me how difficult it is to find information on line about tagging; seems to be an individual decision but there must be guidelines somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.budgerigarsociety.com/ring- ... s-colours/
This is the world recognised colour sequence that Budgie breeders use to mark the year of birth. Many finch breeders also use this for the same reason.
With finches that are not visually sexable lots of people use pink and blue rings so they can tell at a distance which is which.
Other than that, some do use blue rings to indicate split for blue, and yellow for spit for yellow, or white to indicate split for white breasted.
But many also use their own choice of a ring to indicate 1st pair to hatch on one side and 2nd pair to hatch on the other side. Right or left legs.
So the yellow ring on Kate may indicate she is split for yellow or it could indicate something completely different.
And the green rings and white ring could mean anything depending on the breeders individual choice of codes.
I would definately contact him and ask.
LML
Jessica

Thank you! Okay, I'll contact him! And this link on tagging will be helpful. Thank you so much!
Craig52

Agree contact the seller. There is no such thing as split to green and you can't get a split Euro yellow.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops forget sometimes that only we Aussies have a yellow that is split - the rest of the world dont have this.
LML
Jessica

Much appreciated! See? This is what I mean that you'all use terms and talk about the colors like in another language. I have so much to learn! But at least I'm willing and able and I'm in the right place!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... colors.php
This is as accurate as you can get in a mixed avairy. But as Brett said - finches are like people. Some do stay true to their partner. Some play around, which will muck up the genetics.
LML
Jessica

BANG ZOOM, finchbreeder! You made my son's day! This is exactly what the kids and I have been looking for! Thank you so very much and Happy New Year to you in Australia!!

Return to “Breeding Finches”