Egg food how often and time of day?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Jessica

Hi forum! Okay, I've been studying and it says don't leave egg food down for long. Got it. I read various recipes and I'll use what I have: boiled egg, dried egg food, ground cuttle, dried greens, vitamin supplement (Hagen Prime). I read keep it dry consistency (that they hate soft or sticky). Okay got it.

But they don't say a) what time of day to feed nor b) how often during a day?! I guess 'b' would depend upon what is happening with my Gouldians, right? I have two of the three pairs incubating, babies (both roughly predicted by me) due in 4-5 days. They are getting sprouts (actually chitted) every other day right now and they gorge themselves on it so I planned to use same 'reptile' dish since they know when they see that dish, that it'll be something good. 8-)

Ideas welcome and appreciated. Being a first-time 'parent' is nerve-racking! It's all I can do NOT to peek in the nests! :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gouldians are members of the family of Grassfinches. Or to put it simply - the chitted sprouts are their idea of baby food. Egg food is not something that most Gouldians are even slightly interested in.
Ground cuttlebone is good for all laying hens, to replentish their calcium, so I would sprinkle this over their chitted greens.
Increase the chitted greens with ground cuttlebone in proportion to the amount of birds that need feeding.
e.g. If it goes as fast as you put it in = time to increase.
LML
Jessica

Wow - I'm shocked about the egg food! Okay, no egg food for them then. One less thing to stress over! :-). Thank you for helping me!

Jess
Gympie birds

I feed my gouldians egg food, but I have red faced parrot finches in the avairy and this has taught the Goudlains to recognise the egg food. They also seem to enjoy it. I buy paswells egg and biscuit food and they like that and baked egg shell from when I have eggs.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Baked egg shell and ground cuttlebone both serve the same purpose.
I use the egg shell method myself.
As per my post - was aware that it is only most Gouldians that don't take egg food. But good to know what does work in getting them to take it, as it can;t hurt. :thumbup:
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”