Two guys and a gal

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jessica

I want to produce red head, green back, purple breast gouldian babies. I have two males and one female with those colors (standards). One male has been alone (just out of quarantine) and he is trying to build a nest on the floor out of spray millet remnants in the quarantine cage. He also sings and dances to an invisible female. I have two new birds coming (a male and female) and they are probably brother/sister although the breeder usually tries not to breed siblings; not sure in this case.

I was thinking of putting all three in a cage at same time and let them decide who should pair up. It'll have two gouldian-style wooden nests and cage is 1.8m long x 1.5m high x .61m deep. I am concerned that the 'odd man out' might get aggressive or interfere or that the mated pair might attack the lone male once they have a clutch.

Do you think this is a bad plan - having two males with a female?
Craig52

Yes I think it could be a disaster. Just put the pr you want to breed by themselves imo. Or put two prs in, they should should sort themselves out. Make sure that the boxes are at the same height and one at each end of the aviary and one in the middle but they might scobble over the middle one for a while if so remove it.
Jessica

Thank you so much, Craig! I shall do exactly what you suggest!

Return to “Breeding Finches”