Disturbing nests

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jessica

Okay, we just finished our family meeting and we have a few questions, if you all would be so kind to help us with them. We had all searched for these answers before but are stumped:

1. We've read only let finches breed twice a year because three is too stressful. Does that mean to point of fledging, to just point of live babies or does that mean a clutch of eggs? We've had a pair have two clutches - which only survived through hatching but they never fed them. Can we let them try a third time? They are first year parents.
2. When a clutch fails, should we remove the unhatched eggs and/or dead babies (if so how long do we wait) or should we let nature (and the parents) take care of things?
3. Some websites say to candle the eggs but we also read not to mess with the nests. The dichotomy of information is quite frustrating although we realize that's part of life.

We have read that first year Gouldians only have 12% chance of success which goes up to 70% in subsequent years. We've also read that some finches simply aren't good parents and Gouldians can be harder to breed. I'm at a point of wanting to ignore if they have anything in the nest and only care if I see babies stick their heads out! :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. This is a general guide. It varies according to the number of eggs, and if they raise them. So a hen who lays 2 eggs a time x 3 is taking less out of her body than a hen who lays 7 eggs once. Raising takes more effort than letting the babies die (obvious I know) So - how many eggs did young mum lay as that is the 1st consideration you need to take into account. As they did not raise that is not an issue in the consideration this time.
2. I remove dead babies within 24hrs - leaving them is yucky - once the last chick dies or the last egg should have hatched a week ago - remove the lot and let them start again.
3. Candling the eggs will tell you if they are good or not - waiting till the last egg should of hatched a week ago gives the hen time to regroup and have a rest and is in my personal opinion better for the pair. It gives them the message that they do not just keep laying and not staying with the nesting business.
Are any birds/creatures natural parents first time round? Yes, but I still remember being a very nervous 1st time mum. So see no reason why the birdies are not allowed to be.
I like the ignore what is happening till you see babies peeking out policy. It is one I have (mostly) applied for many years. (sometimes the sticky beak in me comes out)
LML
Jessica

Thank you, finchbreeder! Invaluable wisdom and it's been added to our family database! I love your logic and clarity on these things! On Item #1 above ...

Both clutches were 4 eggs each and both parents were excellent at incubating - just didn't seem to know what to do after babies hatched. They'd just stare in at them like their babies were freaks! "Hey, who put those freaks in with our eggs?"

This second clutch - predicted hatching Feb 17-20 so it's coming upon a week 'overdue.' Hen still incubates but daddy is off choosing new nest sites and breeding every finch he's near.

Applying your General Guide then ... since they didn't have to feed either clutch and only had 4 eggs each time, let them go again if they wish it IF they are physically still strong?

Both parents are dominant in the cage and still in gorgeous condition! He's a black head, blue back, white breast and she's a black head, green back, purple breast. He's the most gorgeous healthiest blue back I've ever seen in all people's pictures everywhere and he knows it too! ROFLMBO!

ps - I had to Google 'sticky beak' ... love it! I too have a sticky beak but I'm trying more 'hands-off' and less fussing! Again, I appreciate your input a LOT.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they are both fit and healthy I would allow a 3rd round. But keep an eye on her. She is the one doing all the work of producing eggs. So even if he is fit - bother him if she is not.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”