New to finches - but love these birds so MUCH!

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
snomys

Hi

I recently adopted a male zebra finch, his name is Sabito and he's about 1 year old as I was told.

When I was younger my family had an African Grey parrot, so I have some history with taking care of a caged bird, and since I have taken care of my little finch I think he's definitely looking more sprightly and happy, which makes me happy too.

I love the character of these birds, although Sabito is not tame and is frightened of humans hands, specifically the hand. I can put my face quite close to him, but the hand he keeps some distance from.

I have a couple of questions, I hope you don't mind me asking as a newbie, I searched google alot on these matters, but I thought I'd come to a place where answers might be more targeted at this particular species.

1. I understand finches do better in pairs or groups. I would love Sabito to have a female to share his life with, and although I've seen numerous videos online of a coupled pair sharing a cage, I am curious to whether and why and if, would it be possible to have a pair cohabiting but without actually making babies? I can't take on more responsibility of more finches, so thats my reason for asking.

Perhaps neutering but these birds are so tiny, is that a troublesome matter? Any information on this question would be really helpful. I'd prefer him to have a female partner because I often show him videos on YouTube of other finches, and I notice he particularly follows and sings to the area of the screen where the female is, he's so smart and enjoys this, I give him some short TV time everyday. Hopefully it quells any loneliness being the only bird here right now.

2. Taming the bird. Im not exactly concerned to tame him, because I don't want him to feel any stress of panic with me getting closer to him, and although I've read through a few online articles of taming finches, this survival instinct to stay away from the human hand is no doubt millenia old, and no doubt has served them well to keep their species surviving in the wild.

Types of behaviour suggested is putting hand in the cage in a non threatening way every day, and I have noticed that over 2 months now, he's not anxious as he was initially, but he still keeps his distance. No problem, everything at his pace.

One article I read was that these birds are almost impossible to tame, and the ONLY way is to gradually reduce his food intake and then at a point ahead offer some seeds in hand and possibly driven by hunger the fear of touch becomes absent, but I am not keen on doing this at all, I would not intentionally want to make this little soul hungry, he deserves a happy and healthy life, so I cannot go down this route.

But do you have any additional hints and tips for zebra finches? I'd be keen to know.

Lastly, thanks for taking the time to read through this long message, and if you do offer any advice and help, just to let you know, Im very grateful and thankful for your input.

Thank you, from Sabito and me!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the Forum and finches.
If you want to keep Zebra finches and not have them breed, then you need them to be the same gender. The reproductive urge in them is really strong.
Living with your BFF is just fine for birds and people alike.
Depending on the size of the cage if you get 1 or 2 friends for him. 2 birds can be problematic as they will always form a hierachy. Like us people. But just like us, sometimes one is extra bossy. So 3 is better.
My Zebs grow quieter the longer they know me - this will happen with yours too. Just take it slow and gentle. Giving treats like green seeding grass with the hand will help to take the fear away too.
Enjoy.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”