Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Finchmum42

Hi! New to the world of Gouldian finches. So many questions!! :chicken: we have an outdoor aviary about 6m x 2m that adjoins our stand alone garage. We bought 6 gorgeous gouldians a week ago and after a few wonderful days we tamed them and the 5 suddenly died . We are unsure if it was wind chill, noise or something else. We modified the avairy and bought a ceramic heater and Today we got 3 more. We are hoping they are with us for a long time đź’–
[email protected]

Welcome. Bad luck to lose them so quickly. I'm in FNQ and breed outdoors. Its been a bit wet and cool but mine came through well. Do you have a closed up part of your aviary which is sheltered on at least 3 sides? I find with this arrangement, they can find a temperature/environment that allows them to best environment given the weather. Depending on where you are (I'm in Kuranda), introduction of a heat source would appear to be unnecessary in NQ, but I guess it cannot hurt.

My aviary is roofed for about 1 third of its length and has basically a shed at the end which is fully enclosed and insulated, and taller than the open section. The taller section is walled which gives complete all around cover should they decide to roost in the high section to find their comfort zone.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does the avairy face northeast? As this is optimum for any finch avairy?
North or east will work too. Because they need morning sun to warm themselves up.
Gouldian do not have down feathers - they are the most chill effected of all finches.
As Mark has said - wind protection is essential for Gouldians.
LML
Finchmum42

I think it faces north east. All four were doing well. The original that survived had started making a nest. This morning my little boy accidentally let him out. He was in the neighbours mango tree but there is no sign of him now. We have left a bowl of seed on the ground hoping to catch him.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”