Sick Gouldian baby

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Jessica

Baby born 6/24/2023. For about two weeks, I noticed it would sit with its head tucked but then most times, flew around and was very active. For past four days, it has increased its 'head-under-wing' displays and it has begun to do tiny jerks like it is coughing.

Estate cage was due for quarterly air sac mite treatment ( last done 6/21/2023) so I treated with Moxidectin/Baycox morning of 9/20, removing morning of 9/22. But today it looks even worse - was just sitting on bottom of cage so I caught it and put it in hospital cage. Here is picture of it.

It is under heat and light lamp and I gave it millet. All other birds, including other babies from same clutch, in same cage look fine. These babies are due to move to different cage but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Since it just finished a med treatment, I'm unsure what to do to help it now. Ideas appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do not know what the problem is.
However, it is possible it could be the youngest of the brood and a bit behind the others.
So it may not be as strong.
This is more common with big batches of chicks.
PS I would have taken that feather out of it's mouth.
LML
Jessica

Thank you for responding, Finchbreeder! It dropped that feather immediately after picture! It is gasping for breath. It is sick. And the side of its face right this side of its left eye (by beak) is fluffed. I know they're moulting (or it's coming soon), right? But the other babies are all fine.
BrettB

Hello Jessica.

Nice to see you are getting some fledglings now.
'The skin adjacent to the beak does look abnormal, but it is hard to tell in photos.
It could be some type of scaly mite, but the Moxidectin should cover that as well as airsac mite.
The laboured breathing and reduced activity are not good signs and usually only seen in very advanced mite infections
Once the bird is that weak they tend to be prone to other infections, like septiceamia.
Some birds are just more genetically vulnerable than others, others just dont get the start of their siblings and are weaker overall.
I have heard that some birds severely infected with airsac mite can get worse before they get better. We can only hope that this is the case with yours.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Jessica

Hello Brett! Nice to *see* you again too! Last night before going to sleep, I put vinegar in its water and bath as well as fresh sprouted seed. It is still sleeping (it's 5:30am here) so I'll watch it and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for helping. :-)

Return to “Finch Health”