My Gouldian Finch is closing one eye

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
farsouth

Hi Guys,
So i have a healthy beautiful gouldian finch that for the last couple of years hasnt had any health problems but since she woke up this morning she is closing her right eye alot and looking at it in the mirror also...she seems fine other than the eye closing but im starting to get worried...She lives on her own now which she loves.She seems very aware of her eye being irritated, so it would seem specific to the eye and not to be a behavioural side effect of a systemic illness. No visible fluid or crusty build up, she has been rubbing her eye on the perch in response to the irritation this afternoon. Was considering a saline flush, but worrried this may result in more perch rubbing. Should I leave this and monitor it again in the morning after a nights rest. Do you think this is conjuctivitis or maybe an injury, if so what is best to treat conjuctivitis. Not sure what I can obtain as i am very ruraly located, was thinking maybe she could tolerate an ointment if i can get one. thankyou in advance for any help.

Kindest regards

Kyia
Craig52

Hi kyia sounds more like an irritation than an infection.
Is there anything in the cage that could be causing it like ropes or other toys for birds. What is on the floor of the cage.
Usually I would use chlorsig which is for human eye problems but well for birds. It is an antibiotic ointment but it available from a chemist with out a prescription.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Craig Said.
Surprised she is happy on her own, as it is so unnatural for finches.
LML
farsouth

Thankyou very much for youre help Craig, I will get some chlorsig today. Any hints or tips on application of the Chlorsig and how often.

She did have two cage partners but she has outlived them and never got on withem. we now keep a 12 hour video of an aviary of zebra and gouldian finches playing for her for sound and visuals but she is less irritatted by not having other birds imediately near her as she used to peck at them for years. She is very chirpy and interactive and is not left alone often, always has the recording on as backup. the recording is long enough to have unique sound being 12 hours, but it think familiar enough to be of comfort.I also spend most my days with her as my beauty is in my study in a big long cage ..regards kylie
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you have a unique set up for her, that is as close to natural as possible. While being artificial.
In birds as in people, it takes all sorts, and each are unique.
LML
farsouth

Thankyou, My Freya is a special bird as are all birds She is very outgoing and tells me what she wants all the time lol... :yawn: :laugh:
Craig52

It is a very small tube and you don't need to use much. Apply as a light smear once a day on the effected area but not directly on the eye as the bird will rub its eye on the perch spreading it. When it looks clear stop using it. If the area has no feathers they won't grow back until the bird moults out at the end of the year.
farsouth

Hi Craig,Thankyou for your advice...i spoke to a vet on the phone as i live in the country and its hard to get a vet out here but he said... Regarding the eye ointment, this is one that can be used but it is used to treat specific eye problems - so I wouldn't recommend using it unless the vet has instructed to do so...So im unsure now as she doesnt have any discharge or lumps just closing of the eye so i dont want it to get worse...im thinking of saline first than wait till tomorrow as its almost her bedtime than maybe use it tomorrow ..i got the both eye drop and cream of it ... :? :notsure: maybe just alittle under the eye for now...thankyou so much
:grinhappy:
farsouth

So do you guys use the eye drop form or the thick one? my update is she is not liking it on her lower eye at all and cleaning and rubbing all the time and seems very distress by it...I have been using the thick one which im not even sure is getting into the eye or does it work into the skin anyway...Im thinking of what you said craig and doing her eye once a day to see how it goes for the next few days...i put alittle under the eye but im so unsure if its to much or not so much.... :think: :eh: :problem: thanks so much
farsouth

Craig52 wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 11:56 It is a very small tube and you don't need to use much. Apply as a light smear once a day on the effected area but not directly on the eye as the bird will rub its eye on the perch spreading it. When it looks clear stop using it. If the area has no feathers they won't grow back until the bird moults out at the end of the year.
Just one quick question to clarify Craig , Do you mean that if it gets directly on the eye it will make her rub it on the perch? oo do you mean that her rubbing it on the perch is a good thing as it will spread the ointment into the effected eye. Sorry for my confusion, thankyou.

kind regards
Kylie

Return to “Finch Health”