My Gouldian Finch is closing one eye

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
BrettB

Chlorsig is Chloramphenicol, a broad spectrum antibacterial.
It will only be effective if the problem is bacterial.
Having said that, the liquid drops are quite soothing, at least in people
Drops are easier to get in, they can go straight onto the eyeball.
Ointment is difficult to get in the eye, but stays in place longer and so can be applied less often

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

Yes might have been abit vague with that. But it really doesn't matter as the medication is for eye applications. Some birds freak when the ointment goes directly on the eye that is all. You don't want them using their toe nails and causing more damage.
farsouth

Hi,She went abit crazy with it and im not sure i even got it in..but i will clean her perches daily and i did do her nails the other day also as sometimes she lets the back ones get way to long.I also think i will do under her eye just before bed as she can not fuss with it for to long....i guess its a waiting game...i would think i would she her not closing her eye within maybe 5 days if its bacterial and i wonder if you can get an all over bacterial and viral to just cover all the bases if its not an injury?..Her poos are alittle watery but she would be alittle stressed with this at the moment ...She is still her self mostly...so im thinking infection in the eye or injury..I just cant stand seeing her little eye doing that all the time as i just want to cuddle her.. thankyou for all the help..i think i would freak out if i didnt have such good advice...thankyou so much :heart:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bacterial infections can be treated in humans and birds. Viral infections are a problem in humans and birds.
If her poos stay a little watery she may need a dose of moxi once she has finished the eye treatment.
Hope she is well soon.
LML
farsouth

HI so i got hold of a vet on the phone and they think maybe a product called natural eye if anything and see how it goes but i worry of infection and she will get far to stressed if i handle her to long let alone take her into the vets as they want to weigh her and give her pain relief and oxygen and that will stress her out to much ...so i was thinking of doxy in the water to stay of any infection..because weather its an injury or whatever it could be helped by that given it may lead to an infection....one that goes in the water i think i have used it before...any ideas... :think:
farsouth

finchbreeder wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 11:24 Bacterial infections can be treated in humans and birds. Viral infections are a problem in humans and birds.
If her poos stay a little watery she may need a dose of moxi once she has finished the eye treatment.
Hope she is well soon.

Thanks so much..she has had watery poos before and i think its the eye stressing her out i hope....its all about the poos...lol :lolno:
farsouth

HI Guys..so i have been using natural eye drops on her eyes as i had a vet on the phone say that may help and the right eye is getting better but now the left eye is doing the same and i have anothe phone app tomorrow which im sure will not help at all...but what can i do...i have been cleaning her perches once aday also...she still seems herself and eating and calling out at always but her poos are still water like also, i have noticed she is grooming more the last couple of days like she has mites...i havent treated her for mites in a while being on her own but its starting to look like she has them...i normally use moxy plus..but its out of date by june this year and i get it from the melbourne bird company but that will take atleast four working days and shes getting really agitated with the grooming...as i want to make sure i get the moxy as i think it covers airsac and scaley face mites...could the mites of caused the eye problems but i wouldnt think but now i have no idea.. :( ..kind regards
farsouth

:eh: Sorry i also stopped the chlorsig after two goes as she was not dealing with it to good...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Use the moxy you have. Like most date codes it is a guideline. If kept in optimum conditions will be good for longer.
What are you cleaning the perches with?
Is it possible to completely remove existing perches and put in fresh cut tree prunings, while leaving existing perches out in the sun to bleach?
This is my perching routine, which has worked for the past 40yrs.
LML
farsouth

finchbreeder wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 12:04 Use the moxy you have. Like most date codes it is a guideline. If kept in optimum conditions will be good for longer.
What are you cleaning the perches with?
Is it possible to completely remove existing perches and put in fresh cut tree prunings, while leaving existing perches out in the sun to bleach?
This is my perching routine, which has worked for the past 40yrs.
Hi, I'm just cleaning the tops of the perches with boling water once daily with paper towels and just on the top so when she rubs her eye from the eye drops so it doesn't spread... i would like to swap out perches but she gets so stressed when i change anything in her cage..i keep her cage very clean but something s going on...im thinking a wide spread medication that will kill most common things...triple c from vetafarm looks good and maybe doxy but i guess i will have to wait to see what the phone vet says... if i had more to go on it would be easier ...i have no discharge or enlarging and she is resting alittle more and more watery poos...shes eating normal and drinking...shes almost seven and has always been really healthy but a few years back she and her mate need doxy for psittacosis...but from what i see online she has no common signs of that...i always get the hard cases... :lol:

Return to “Finch Health”