Plastic sheet that is Vitamin D friendly

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
tonywirrell

Hi. I have a problem with wind in a coastal location, so I need to cover my north facing side with plastic sheeting. Then I need advice on what to use as I don't want to block the beneficial effects of sunlight (Vit D).

What do members advise me to use? Not glass obviously. Perspex also seems to block UVB. Maybe acrylic or plexiglass would be good? I will appreciate some advice please.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alsanite comes in varying degrees of light and UV block.
We went for one of the white ones for our patio roof and it lasted 15yrs in full WA sun, till it started cracking up.
LML
Craig52

There is not much if anything that lets full UV in the way of cladding. Most breeders I know use corrugated polycarbonate clear just to let light and warmth in. These can be removed and replaced back due to weather conditions like summer and winter. Other than that unless you are able to face your aviary East or North East nothing much can be done to stop cold winds.
tonywirrell

I have now contacted several different plastic suppliers in Australia. I have learned that the product I need is called "UV Transmitting Acrylic Sheet", but unfortunately nobody has it available. I will keep enquiring, but my plan now is a Vitamin D supplement.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything seems so hard to get in the way of building materials - even the common ones.
LML
tonywirrell

Google shows that "UV Transmitting Acrylic" for use in "Animal Habitats" is available in the USA, but I have been unable to find a supplier in Australia. If anyone has any suggestions I think this material would be useful to a lot of members here.
Darkangel1977

I use a sheet of SUNTUF
Sunlite 8 Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet on the end of my aviary to block draughts, it's used in greenhouses I believe, it does let light through..... not sure about the UV side of things..... supposedly it's tough. Is from bunnings, I've used it a couple of years now and it's survived what melbourne could throw at it so far 🤷‍♂️
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Having Googled - that is a step up from my Alsanite.
LML
tonywirrell

Darkangel1977 wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 21:56 I use a sheet of SUNTUF
Sunlite 8 Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet on the end of my aviary to block draughts, it's used in greenhouses I believe, it does let light through..... not sure about the UV side of things..... supposedly it's tough. Is from bunnings, I've used it a couple of years now and it's survived what melbourne could throw at it so far 🤷‍♂️
Thanks. I will check it out.

One plastic supply business explained that they no longer have "UV Transmitting" ever since tanning beds were banned in Australia as that was the main place it was used. The reality is that it is also needed for animal enclosures - like ours!

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”