Gouldian with damaged leg.

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
DerekO

Hello everybody!
I have a beautiful split blue gouldian living in one of my cabinets. The bird has a broken leg which has twisted to the side. She is healthy, flies good and can stand on the perch. She has a lifetime home here with me. I am after advice if I should put her back into my large aviary. There are many other birds plus several breeding pairs of gouldians.
Some of them get a bit rough and pushy. I would like to breed this bird. Any advice would help me make up my mind.
Thanks
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had hens and cocks of various sorts over the past 40yrs that for one reason or another had problems. They do fine, with restrictions.
My Cuban hen raised several - smaller than average broods in an avairy with the only concession being some flat landing pads. Small flat areas to allow for her need to sit without haveing to grip with her one foot all the time.
I have a particularly interesting Zeb cock who is in a less populated avairy to allow for less competition, he is getting on, but still producing a few chicks, despite his one foot.
LML
DerekO

Thank you for responding to my conversation. I released the bird into my aviary yesterday. Apart from initial clumsiness all now seems good. Much more happy in the aviary.
Thanks.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”