photo cage???

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

am planning to make a cage with a perspex front so that I can get some decent pics of the birds.
wondering what everyones choice would be a. to make the front of the cage like normal and have the camera on a slight angle to offset any flash bouncing back at the camera or b. to offset the perspex into the cage so that the camera can be front & square.
then again I may make one of each and see which I prefer.
be easier to just buy a decent camera and learn how to use it properly :roll: am to tight to do that though, rather spend money on more birds
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When spending money, birds should always be given priority. :D
Now if I could just convince "He who prefers tools" :lol:
LML
LML
framed

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was thinking of all perspex except the bottom and rear to allow me to use external lighting to eliminate the need to use a flash.
I'm not sure whether the sun on a bright day would give enough light or if it would require additional lighting.

Framed.
Enjoy every sandwich
kevins

if your using a digital camera its best to avoid high contrast lighting (bright sun with lots of shadows or flash...flash will give you very good colour of course...but to me its not as natural looking as available light) ........most digital cameras have a function that allows you to change the lighing colour...so you could take the pics using tungsten or fleurescent light and adjust the cameras settings....the best light is available natural light and use the cameras shutter speed to freeze movement...
which way you try just depends on personal taste i guess.....I think you will have trouble with perspect unless you use available light or a lighting set up...eg some lights set at oblique angles...you would need two to give depth and reduce shadowing
Some set-ups ive seen have the camera situated at the end of the cage with a hole cut for the lens.....this is good as the birds can settle down more quickly and you can get close without disturbing then.....youd need aSLR camera for that...or cut the hole a bit bigger if its viewfinder..the other advantage of this set up is that focus would be simple once set up..also exposure
cheers....happy snapping :)
framed

I was thinking of the hole idea as well, but thought the bird might then fly into the lens, thinking it was a way out of the cage.
Enjoy every sandwich
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

point camera at target, click the button. look at viewer screen, then delete picture from camera. after doing this at least 10 times you usually get 1 just usable picture. thats how I work when using a camera :lol:
Mick.
gomer

like your style mick.like mine.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
kevins

lol mick and gomer.....ya gotta be more professional than that.....i only have to delete 5

They might fly into the lens...the set up i saw had brush at the camera end that detered them from flying there...but your right...theres always a rapid fire setting on the camera...you have to get some good ones...and delete 98% like me
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pfft only 10 , I can go through 2 memory card thingys b4 I get a good pic. :lol: :lol:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wonder how I'd go using one of those pin hole cameras, maybe in a museum where the birds sit still all day
Mick.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”