Magots for food

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
gomer

grenadier I live in Portland.How many colonys would i need for up to 200 birds? Some dont eat meal worms like gouldians.Also i bought calf rearing milk powder.i hope that is ok.At $61 for 20 kgs.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
gomer

Question:Why do fly boxes always have all wire fronts.Why dont they have flat polycarbonate or perspex fronts or part of.wouldnt this keep more heat in allowing lower wattage globes.I understand you would need adequate airflow.perhaps part wire or holes drilled in the poly. Or do people cover their boxes. :?:
southy

Gomer
My fly box which I have used for probably 10 yrs is a fridge that I have fitted a fly screen inside with a door in it.I drilled a 20ml hole in the bottom just outside the screen to let in a bit of air & stop condensation from building up.Fridge door is kept closed & most of the time A 15 watt bulb is ample,keeps a constant temp because insulated works perfectly.

Southy
fincher

hey southy sounds like a good idea any chance of posting a pic of it pleasewould be good to see
thanks chris
gomer

sounds like a good idea southy.
gomer

well its been 5 days now and i still cant see any magots from my flies.The bran smells sour.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

give it a stir and see what happens. like grenadere says the more flies the more maggots , so it wont have time to go sour. hows the next lot going fingers crossed there. keep it in the box till you see movement its one of those things that it is easier to show you than explain i think...what ratio are you using of whey / milk powder on marcus pollards website there is an article on maggots..pete
gomer

the first batch was 1.7 lt of bran and 1 tbs of milk powder.the second batch is two hand fulls of bran and 1tbs of milk powder.Still no sighn of magots mybe the flys were to young on the first batch.Have left the second and third containers in the box.
gomer

Well been away the last few days.checked the batches today.the first was a complete failure.the second had a dozen little maggots in it.the third a different mixture,more milk powder and more water.has quite a few good size in it.and the fourth lot put in today,same mix as the first.
southy

Gomer
I use pollard (just seem to get better results)but have used bran.The ratio I mix it is 8 parts pollard to 1 part calf rearing mix this works good for me.But just experimenting A couple of months ago I replaced half the calf rearing mix with chicken starter & now I think I will stick to that.(thats 16 parts pollard 1 part calf rearing mix & 1 chicken starter)mix up to mixture where you can just see water & I sprinkle some dry chicken starter on top.(seems to get them started quicker)2 days.Also temp in box should be in high 20's
Southy

Return to “Diet & Food”