Apple Cider Vinegar

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Huw.D

Does anyone add Apple Cider Vinegar to their bird's drinking water? Do you find it works?
I read about it on aussie finch society website it recommended a dosage rate of 5-10mls per litre.

Also when using Ivermectin on gouldians is it used as a prevention of treatment? or both?
GregH

I use it as I'm told it works as a general anti-microbial treatment. Certainly the intensive poultry and swine industries are sold on acidiers and there are lots of products on the web if you look for them but they are out to make money and I haven't investigare the scientific literature on this topic. An article from the University of Arkansa http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/ ... n-products doesn't put much sted in them. I'll have to look into it more but since it doesn't hurt the birds and is cheap I'll continue to do it until I read differently.

I've only used Ivamectin as a treatment and wouldn't recommend it's long-term use as a preventative as it's damned toxic in large doses. Over and above the out right poisoning risk is bioaccumilation in fat reserves which during any austerity period, or other times when fats are broken down, may be released in a fatal dose.
Last edited by GregH on 10 Oct 2009, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
gomer

I put in a little apple cider vinegar in the drinking water most months.I was told by a few old finch breeders it helps keep internal parasites at bay,and gives them a clense,also helping to keep the water clean from alge etc.
I ocasionally use ivamectin but prefer cydectin as a preventative and treatment for internal and external parasites.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
arthur

Could any avian vets comment on A.C.V. and . . a number of years ago finchos were using raspberry cordial in their water "because every one else does"

Any scientific validity to either of these additives??

Also if commenting on medications could the dosage rates be included . . rather than just "I use Avitrol Plus" . . "I use Avitrol Plus @ x mls/ L and y mls direct by crop needle etc etc
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i use apple cider vineger( the plain stuff) once a month 10mls to a litre of water. helps keep the dishes clean and helps to clens their insides. but when obtaining new birds i place it in there water but thats the should i say the mirkier type with the sediment on the bottom which would be found in the health food section of your super market at the same dosage rates, when i had goulds i only used the inermectin if the birds they were sick and needed it . i didnt see the point of going through the proccess if i didnt need to ( thats my opinion). as for the rasberry cordial only heard of that being used when mixed with some wormers. but years ago if you went to bali they told you to take (the brand anchor) red cordial with you to stop getting bali belly , so i am thinking that may be where that idea stemmed from to stop any runny bums. also i have seen cloves of garlic placed in water dishes to stop any nasties and to help control worms but i have been told that doesnt work by a vet. .....pete
fincher

i dont use apple cider vinegar,but a old mate of mine used to use a clove of garlic in the water i cant rember what it did but it did work. ill try and find out what he used it for and get back to use. ive been meening to use it and see if it helps out

thanks chris
nixity

Treating with Ivermectin is treating with Ivermectin.

You can not use Ivermectin "Preventively."

It will only treat an existing infection, it will not prevent an infection from occurring after treatment.
So in my opinion, there is no use in treating a flock "preventively" with ivermectin if there is not infection currently in the flock.

You will just be wasting time, meds, and money, and treating birds with meds unnecessarily can cause liver and kidney problems.

In terms of ACV - it's one of those things (like "preventively" treating for ASM) that seems to flourish on the web.
In a pinch it can be somewhat helpful in preventing yeast infections in hand feds, but in terms of actually treating anything, it's a wash, and I don't consider it an effective long term option to keep fungal infections at bay; particularly when hand feeding.

The strength you'd need it to be for it to actually be effective at getting rid of existing bacterial or fungal problems would be too high for the bird to tolerate.
It's also not as effective at preventing fungus in sprouting as, say, VirkonS.
Http://www.GouldiansGalore.net
~ Gouldian Breeder/Exhibitor
~ Retailer of Morning Bird & Twin Beaks Aviary Products
gomer

nixity wrote:Treating with Ivermectin is treating with Ivermectin.

You can not use Ivermectin "Preventively."

It will only treat an existing infection, it will not prevent an infection from occurring after treatment.
So in my opinion, there is no use in treating a flock "preventively" with ivermectin if there is not infection currently in the flock.

You will just be wasting time, meds, and money, and treating birds with meds unnecessarily can cause liver and kidney problems.

In terms of ACV - it's one of those things (like "preventively" treating for ASM) that seems to flourish on the web.
In a pinch it can be somewhat helpful in preventing yeast infections in hand feds, but in terms of actually treating anything, it's a wash, and I don't consider it an effective long term option to keep fungal infections at bay; particularly when hand feeding.

The strength you'd need it to be for it to actually be effective at getting rid of existing bacterial or fungal problems would be too high for the bird to tolerate.
It's also not as effective at preventing fungus in sprouting as, say, VirkonS.
When i say as i preventative,I mean if i find one bird with parasites i treat the lot just in case.And if dont find any every three to six months treat them anyway.As many may not have signs of them, and yet still harbor them.I know when treated externally on cattle( pour on )cydectin,I think lasts up to 40 days treating any parasite that comes in contact with the animal.So i would imagine it would be simular on a bird.I beleive it is a preventative during this time.And as you stated would build up in the birds system if continualy given,as this is how it treats for up to 40 days by staying in the system.So thats why i use it externally,But have used it direct into the crop.

As for bacterial infections I have never heard of it being used for that either.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
arthur

External use of these substances can still affect the liver . . In humans an external arthritic "rub" called VOLTARIN was proven to be harmful when overused; These things are absorbed through the skin and then processed by the liver and excreted by the kidneys . . It would seem that "moderation" is the key word and too much "preventative" use may well not be a good thing
arthur

As stated by Nixity

Return to “Finch Health”