Black Breast Vs Split Black Breast in males

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
LeWi

Salam

The characters of the black breast are as follows :
The pictures are mine

- darker breast bar ( as in pic 2 )
- large cheek patches that may reach the head ( as in pic 1 and even bigger in some birds )
- absence of tail strips .. the tail will be white and black ( as in pic 1 )
- absence of tear drop ( as appears clearly in both pictures )

The characters of the Split black breast are as follows :
Again the picture is mine :P

- light tear drop ( there is a tear drop but not as clear as normal gray birds )
- connected tail strips that look like a sand watch ( as u can notice the 2 white tail strips are attached to each others at some point )

it is hard sometimes to notice the split black breast , but with practice and if u have one at home it will be easier

Black breast mutation is a recessive mutation which means:
- it is required to have a pair of black breasts to breed a 100% black breasted babies
- it is required to have at least 1 of the parents to be a black breast and the other parent to be a split black breast to get 50% black breasted babies and the other 50% will be Split black breasted
- it is required to have both of the parents to be split black breasted to get 25% black breasted and 50% split black Breasted the other 25% will be normal birds

if u have 1 of the parents who is black breasted ... then all the babies will be split black breasted no matter what the other parent is

if 1 and only one of the parents is split black breasted then u will get 50% of the babies split black breasted

i hope these tips were useful :)
ur comments are welcomed :)

Return to “Mutation Finches”