Casurina Cones

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
JohnP

My wife has just come back from the south coast and brought some casurina cones back which she tells me she read some where were good for the birds to eat. Now obviously they can't eat the cone as it is about the size of the average (?) finch head but no doubt there are seeds inside.

Question, 1) how do I get to the seeds, do I leave the cones in the sun to dry and split open, and 2) are they OK to give to the birds :?:
John
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

you leave the cones for a couple of days in a ice cream container or similar and they should open up naturally.yes they are able to be fed to birds apparently diamond firetails love them , or you could make up a wire basket to hold the cones and the seeds will fall out to a container underneath...hope this some help....pete
JohnP

Thanks Pete, I will see how my lot go with them and let you know. I'm sure the Red Faced Parrot will guts them as they do with everything.
John
kim

Parrots love them :mrgreen:

I didn't realize they would be eaten by finches as well.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My parrots love them , even if the finches dont eat them it will keep them busy checking them out .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
gomer

Gave them a go last year.Picked them off a tree in the backyard.Put them on the wood heater on low heat in a tray,That opened them up and released the seed.I heard you can also dry them out in a oven.I wont say it was a success,I may give them another try this year as they are seeding now.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pete Sara

i collected some on a trip out bush a few months ago and put them in my bag, i forgot all about them for a couple of weeks and they all had opened up in my bag... what a mess. next time i am taking plastic bags .....pete
JohnP

They don't take long to open I have now found. Birds have given them the cold shoulder so far but guess its no diff to us when we see new food we may not necassarily take to it right away. better go out and see if they have had a midnight snack before the hot weather hits us today.
John
BENSONSAN

My fiinches love she oak (casaurina seeds) !!!! Especialy my redbrows all over erm.

Return to “Diet & Food”