new greenfeed

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thought people may be interested to know I have started to feed Ray & Wendy Lowes green food mix.

The mix is:

2 tablespoons of 'Golden Mix' chopped frozen vege (mine includes capsicum, peas, corn, onion)
a few pieces of chopped carrot
leafy vege - spinach, lettuce, whatever's in the fridge
blended with hand blender until mushed thoroughly

I have been using it twice weekly and the parrot finches/cordons love it.

Just thought it might be something others may want to try?

Jay
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My parrots have always eaten the leftover frozen veg. along with fresh greens , never tried the finches on it they do get corn / fruit and other fresh stuff but are only really into leafy greens.
Leftover pasta is another favourite (cooked)
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
GregH

I'd like to know how to get birds to try these soft-foods. Mine are lucky to try a leafy green and turn their beaks from any mashed veg that I've offered and even when I mix it through the mashed boiled egg they spend their time picking through it like my kids just to make sure they don't inadvertantly swallow some vegetables. I even went through a stage of mixing in Wambaroo finch softfood mix and they ignored it too.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greg my finches wont touch anything mashed or anything apart from greens , parrots are easy you could add anything to madiera cake and they will eat it .
Ive had no luck with live food , fruit , soft food , insectivore you name it Ive tried it I guess they are happy on seed and greens .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
toothlessjaws

mine won't touch anything other than dry seed, green seed and lebanese cucumber. they wont touch paswell's finch soft food, boiled egg, cos lettuce, carrot - nothing!

only the cordons and saints go the mealworms - and even then they only bite off the head and then lose interest.
Diane

The canaries will try anything, they even eat the mini mealworms I put in for the orangebreasts!
Fidget the parrotfinch eats seed, mini mealworms and Lebanese cucumber which apparently I dont wash enough before offering to her, I always find it in the water!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

agreed, a canary helps. even just borrowing one from a friend. they eat anything!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
E Orix

One way of training birds to eat unknown food, put a Canary in with them. This was the method used by some of the really old time avis.Canaries will generally try anything and the other birds tend to copy them.
I generally throw the mealworms on top to attract them.BUT my diet is pretty simple good Dry Seed,Soaked Seed(3hours only)Pound Cake, Cucumber and live food and more live food.Aviaries have some grass growing in them so they do get a little green food naturally.These days I am a lazy avi though.

Return to “Diet & Food”