best singers...

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
toothlessjaws

hey guys,

when i first got finches i was really into waxbills. now i love my fires, cordons etc.. but eventually i got some strawberries and i love their song. prior to this i had never really factored singing ability into my choices. but sitting in my backyard listening to my strawberries sing has swayed me. my aviary is only lightly stocked and i'm thinking of getting a couple more birds with vocal talent. i can think of green singers and cubans (though obviously not together) but i'm wondering what other species anyone can recommend that are known for their song?
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok you did say what other species not what other finches so Im gonna say you could put in a pair of Bourke Parrots , small friendly , nice to look at and have the sweetest song of all my birds.
They never stop singing / whistling .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Lukec

It would be hard to better a canary however I feel a goldfinch is better whistler than a green singer. Goldfinch is highly under rated and there seems to be a market for Aviary bred birds.

I agree though that the Cuban has a great song.

Let us know what you end up with.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Cheeseman

One of my male Gouldians is superb, the other is nice also, but my normal is just so much better, it's hard to believe they're the same breed.
Cal
2 Pairs of Zebra Finches
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want song Canaries and Goldfinches and yes Cubans.
I have the first and last at the moment but have had all 3 at various times, and they are compatable provided you have pairs.
Song is definately an underrated reason to keep these 3.
LML
LML
Diane

I have a wonderful "male voice choir" with my gouldian males. The canary song is lovely but they do stop for quite a few months at a time. Orange breasts have a lovely song too, they have a steady peep, but then sometimes they really let loose and I can hear them right through the house. Another favourite is the emblema, their song is the weirdest thing.....it has a bdoing bdoing :P thing going on at the end, sounds like a broken spring. :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

canaries, cordons, green/grey singers, orange breasts... all great singers. :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
E Orix

Over the years I have had most of the top song birds available to us.The Shama is a fantastic singer,the Pekin Robins will out sing the feral Blackbirds, Oriental Magpie Robins are good but the absolute number one in my books is the Skylark. As soon as spring arrives the cockbirds will sing from dawn till dusk and beautiful to listen to.The cockbirds pick the highest perch available and away they go.
Those aside there are several types of Canaries that are value for money when it comes to whistling.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not that I'm biased. :o
But the Gloster canary is the best. :D
LML
LML
toothlessjaws

i don't think i have ever heard my OB's sing! in fact - i didn't think they sung at all! likewise my cordons only rarely do. i remember it happening when i kept one quarantined in a cage with a strawberry cock for a few weeks. on occasion i would get a bit of singing.

maybe i need some cordon hens again? does having someone to interest encourage singing?

canaries are a bit domesticated for my liking. think i'll definitely get a cuban pair though and try my luck.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”