Millet and Manna Differences?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
malanfj

Ok, this is what I understand so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the Millet range you get white/french, yellow/gold, red and black color variations (Criticism needed).
Japanese Millet (AKA Siberian Millet) also falls into this range but is clasified in its own catagory (Can be seen as a "cousin" to the "Common Millets") (Criticism needed)

(1) Is there a difference in nutritional value between the different colour variations of the "Common Millets".
(2) How does the nutritional value of the "Common Millets" compare to the Jap/Siberian Millet?

From what I understand, this is the only types of millets used for birds/finches (Criticism needed)

Now,
(3) Where does Mana fit in?
(4) Is it only found in the white and red color variation?
(5) How does it's nutritional value comare to the rest of the "Common Millets" and Jap Millet?

I'm trying to create a seed mix for Gouldians with the broadest spectrum of seeds I can get my hands on.
(6) Which of these (and others) will Gouldians prefer to eat?

These are the seeds I want to test:

Millets
Mannas
Canary Seed
Rye Grass
Niger Seed
Poppy Seed
Linseed/Flaxseed
Sesame Seed
Rapeseed
Black/White Lettuce
Silk sorghum
Signal grass

Any additional contributions are welcome :)
"IF AVICULTURE HAD BEEN AROUND IN CIRCA 1640 THEN THE DODO MAY HAVE BEEN AROUND TODAY."
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

trial and error ...mine wont touch the high omegas like rape / linseed in summer but will pick at it in winter . I think they know what they need in order to survive.All birds are different and have their personal favourites so I guess offer it and see how they go then come winter offer it again .
I used to make up a mix with the basics ie. canary , white millet , jap , red and added yellow panicum , linseed , panorama and a few others but the birds just picked out the red , canary and white millet ....every now and then I add something extra but not too much as its just a waste of money .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
GregH

Well I'm no expert but while your premice is correct that a broad range of seeds is better than a narrow range to cover nutritional differences between grains. That said most grass seeds are heavy on the carbohydrates and varing amounts of protein but don't offer much in the way of oils compared to some that you mention (niger, lettuce, poppy, seasame & rape/canola) however my gouldians ( and my other Australian & Estrillidads) won't be conned into eating them - you may have better luck. I know that Mike Fidler (save the Gouldian) has some excellent articles that you should read (http://savethegouldian.org/articles/Mik ... r/saon.htm, http://savethegouldian.org/articles/mik ... ticle.html), in whihc he outlines the changing nutritioonal requirements of Gouldians over the year and gives his recipes for seed mixes. His normal mix consists of Red Millet , White millet , Siberian Millet, Canary seed, Rye grass, Silk sorghum, Signal grass, Niger seed. For me this mix is impossible to do here in the Philippines and the goulds wouldn't touch the niger anyway. I think his secrets are in his soft-foods not the seed

I'm not familar with mana other than the one from heaven but I haven't tried that either!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't add a lot accept my Gouldians favourite seed seems to be canary, and they really look forward to freshly picked or cut seeding grass heads. Even the overgrown sections of lawn. :D
And like Greg I don;t know what Mana is either. :(
LML
LML
malanfj

Thanx guys for the input.

Am I correct if I say that all the "Common" Millets (eg. white/french, yellow/gold, red and black) come from the same plant?

If that is so, where does panicum fit in then?
Is it just a fancy name for the red and yellow millet or what?
"IF AVICULTURE HAD BEEN AROUND IN CIRCA 1640 THEN THE DODO MAY HAVE BEEN AROUND TODAY."
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

can only say that red ia in one bin , yellow in another , panicum in another at local produce store so am assuming they are different
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Diet & Food”