New to finches -cold climate.

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
catsteve

Hello All
I am in the process of helping to set up a small aviary (Just for enjoying) for my father in law. he has not kept finches since he was young. The family live on a farm in the south west of WA. It can get cold there but generally not freezing. They can be consistantly wet and cold for some months though.
My question is - are there any types of finches that are adapted to cold weather? and/or what could we do to best heat/protect them over winter months?
any help or suggestions appreciated.
regards
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ok . start with stars , double bars , zebra finches see how they go steer clear of gouldians as they dont like the cold . depends on how far down you are as there is a local finch down south but is has a 1500 dollar price tag to boot...pete
E Orix

No matter what specie you get unless your aviary has a dry well protected shelter part and the birds can get out of any air movement
you will have losses.In winter time here I have to break the surface ice on the water dishes so my Parrot Finches can have their bath.
Yet cold wind will kill them quickly.
As for species that do best in your area,the info will come from those living near you.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D Welcome Poitta has given you a good idea of suitable breeds , if your up for a chat though source out local breeders as they are a wealth of knowledge and also buying locally bred birds does have advantages as the birds are used to the weather in your area.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Most important thing is make the avairy draught proof as possible. Even up here I am aware of that with our chilly southerlies.
LML
LML
pete

i have found most birds are fine with the cold weather, even gouldians, but the aviary MUST be free of draughts/cold winds, that is the killer of most birds.
catsteve

Wow. Thanks for your quick replies everybody.
will keep you posted on our progress. appears that the most important factor will be protecting our birds from the winds. they can howl through here.
thanks again
FinchFan

I have three apir of Gouldians, normals of each colour ( hoping to get a pair of white breasted when i find a pair ) and this will be my first winter. I am Wangaratta, north east Vic, and the winters can be trying so time will tell, but what most resignates from learning about Goulds, is to keep them dry, and draught free. This seems to be the key from most more experienced keepers.

I have 4 babies just fledged, and hopefully my efforts will keep them through winter.
JohnP

Welcome to the forum :D
I live in Canberra where we get overnight temps as low as -7 and I currently keep Orange Breasted, Red Cheeked Cordon, Red Faced Parrot, Ruddies (new to the aviary recently) Red Fire tails and to date they have all weathered throgu winter without any issue, frankly summer just gone with hot temps appeared more stressfull to the birds. As a number of others have said the real killer of any bird whether you just keep or breed is draughts. In winter I place clear perspex on the northern face of my aviary and when combined with the aviary backing onto a shed on the western face (which is where our predominant winds come from) the birds have a nice little solerium to relax in and keep out of draughts. I intend to try a pair of normal Gouldians but will be holding off until September so they can settle in before next season. I have a mate that has told me the Goulds should be OK if I can eliminate draughts as they only have feathers not down.

I bit long winded but hopefully usufull for you even if it does not specifically relate to WA climate. When I started in finches I inherited a copule and just built a small aviary which has continued to grow and until I stumbled across the Forum everthing I did was based on guess work and a little of 'if I was a bird, what would I want in my house' attitude. Good luck and let us know how you go :) some pictures on completion are always worth seeing too.
John
Diane

Hi and welcome to the forum
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”