Last time breeding gouldians for me!

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
cranberry

Yes that's what I'm thinking. Give the goulds a miss and look at something else. There are heaps of other species I could try my hand at.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why I like haveing mixed avairys. On the law of averages something will have a good year. :D
LML
LML
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Parrot finches do love mealworms, and it does help but isn't ESSENTIAL for them.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
BENSONSAN

Look doesnt cost much get yourself some moxidectin plus for the air sac mite and worming. Baycox which will cure\kill destroy coccidiosis. And keep them dry and draught free.

Dont waste your money on other drugs and such. These two little beauties will keep u outta trouble. Also some calcium and vitamin d3 supps if u feel they need it.

Dont give up if i can breed them and have no dramas anyone can!!!

Ben
cranberry

Thanks mate. Will have a think about things in the next few weeks to see where I'm at and if it's worth it.
Diane

Been thinking about your dilemma. Maybe what you should say to yourself is.
"B...er the gouldians, wont breed them anymore but I will keep a few pairs just for the colour in the aviary." (and mean it :D )
Later this year will expect to see a for sale notice
Young gouldians for sale! :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
cranberry

Well part of that is already true I guess. If these 4 babies fledge successfully then provided I can keep them alive they will be for sale. I'm going to have a think about moving them over to the bigger aviary that has a paved floor and adding protection from drafts to that.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Baycox for cocidiocis thats the one I was trying to remember. Cures it but does not prevent it. Cocivet does that. Good luck with whatever you decide.
LML
LML
wildbill

Hi all
If the normals gouldians are creating this kind of drama - the blue mutation will give you severe migrains!
Fischer

cranberry wrote:Well this feels like deja vu. I've had 2 gouldians drop off the perch in the last week for no apparent reason. I learnt from my mistakes last year and protected the aviary from drafts. I've given them fresh water every day, treated them for cocci using coccivet along the way and now this. The only thing I can put it down to is a bit of moisture in the ground as I have been using clean straw as bedding and quite possibly the water does not run off as well as it could. But it's still warm in Adelaide and the cold has not started yet. My main concern is that the mother of my current hatchlings is not looking too flash either. Will the father continue to feed them if she goes?

I don't want to buy anymore only to see them die. I don't want to put any more birds through that again. Any suggestions?
Hi Cranberry, I had a similar problem with my Goulds a few years ago and found the problem was a Candida yeast infection, this can be caused the bit of Moisture under the straw you are using on the floor, ideal breeding conditions since you say it's still warm there in Adelaide. There's another cause of Candida yeast infection and that is over medication, constant use of Coccivet and Baycox can cause a gut imbalance and then conditions are rife for Candida. A good Probiotic will put things back in balance. The problem I had was that I was advised by some Gouldian breeders to use Baycox in 3 lots of water a week because of the crummy town water where I lived then and this caused the problem.

I think Gouldians are pretty adaptable birds to most conditions they are kept in providing that the aviary is free of draught's and has dry floors, a mate of mine in town here breeds lots of them and his breeder's seem to live to a reasonable age and we have some pretty bad cold winds in winter and frost that can stay around most of the day (I'm not far from Canberra) It's just a matter of getting the conditions right so don't give up yet :)

Here's an article that may help you
http://www.mfgouldianfinches.com/Issues ... tions.html

Cheers Tony

Return to “Finch Health”