Putin Finches with Grass parrots

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
ChearpyTrice

Hi every1,
I have been told by people that u can put finch with grass parrot. But would the grass parrot kill the finches. Because budgies kill finches.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

firstly, Budgies and grass parrots (ones of the genus Neophema) are VERY different.

Budgies are mean. they will kill finches.

Neophemas (scarlet chested, elegant, rock, turquoise orange bellied & blue winged parrots) are peaceful, and also can be housed with finches IN A SUFFICIENTLY LARGE AVIARY. Scarlets are very nice, and often breed in aviaries with finches. I personally wouldn't house them with finches, because I have seen them bite feet/toes off finches. but, some people are very convinced they are fine. I believe it's all about the bird's personality.

It is not advisable to house the two different groups together in aviaries under 3m square.

Other finches safe to house with finches (In SOME cases) are hooded parrots, Lineolated parakeets (would love them but they ARE $4000 per pair :o).

hope that helps.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
E Orix

Yes Yes & Yes they will kill your finches.They are also too big for finches to cope with as well.
Do not put any finch with grass Parrots(Red Rumps) they are not your friendly little bird.
They have the same bad habit as Love Birds sit quietly next to a Finch then lean over and snip; off comes a leg, in particular if it had a ring on it.
As it has been stated before , the only Parrots concidered to be safe with Finches are the Neophema Family.
ChearpyTrice

Hi
Thanks 4 the info I have alot of parrots & finches.Im buildin a Australian Native Planted Aviary 4 the finches.
ChearpyTrice

Hi
Thanks 4 info I use 2 breed red rumps & I sold them because they r angry. I was talkin about the Neophemas but but dont know how 2 spell it.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mate after seeing my Bourkes going hammer and tong yesterday :o I dont even want to put neophema in with neophema ( yes I know Bourkes have been reclassified ) , breeding season brings out the worst in some birds .
My answer is ... as much as a lot of people say yes its OK I myself would not risk it .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
ChearpyTrice

Hi
Think I will just stick 2 finches in that aviary as I want the finches 2 breed well.
E Orix

Jusdeb
I and others make the mistake of presuming aviary sizes. We should qualify aviary size has a huge impact on how many and what species can be kept together.Breeding season sure brings out the territorial streak in even placid species and this time of the year is when we need to really watch our birds for agression and problems.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had thought of aviary size but could not make any distinctions after my girl trying to kill her male in a breeding cabinet and a friend who has a pair of Bourkes in with Turks ( 1 pair)in a very large and understocked aviary and no nest boxes in place as yet , she was telling me her girl bourke fatally wounded one of the turks by tearing a vein or artery in the turks leg ... it bled out and leg was hanging .
Its the season and aggression can happen in any size cage , there are no hard or fast rules here . Other people have had finches and neophemas for years without a single problem.
Myself would not risk it as much as I would like to ....In reply to this topic , go for it but be aware and watch for signs of aggression .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have the space your best bet is to build two avairys as big as you can and put finches in one and put your parrotts in the other, and when you decide finches are better sell the parrotts and put finches in that one too. :lol:
LML
LML

Return to “Non Specific Questions”