Finch Grasses Link

Share your favourite books and links here.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

An article all should read, not sure how valid it will be for overseas members though

http://www.finchsociety.org/fsa/grass/grass.htm
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
GregH

It's a sad reflection on biodiversity but here in the Philippines most of the grasses mentioned are what I collect (Panics, Johnson's grass, various Echinochloa spp, palm grass. and of course rice). I've tried to grow French millet but the day length is always too short here in the Asian tropics and it seeds before tillering at about 4cm high! The canary seed available here always has low germination that I've not tried it and I've never seen Phararis growing like I do in Australia.
Page0044

Hi Greg, what about using lights to lengthen the day, might help if you want to grow some. I have alot millet growing in my garden from some old seed and it seeds when the plant is only 3'' to 4'' and grows mad.
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greg's suggestion has a lot of merit. a couple of those foam vegetable boxes from a supermarket filled with good soil under lights would supply you with quite a bit of seed
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
GregH

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm never actually short of green seed - I have various Panicum species thought the entire year as my base seed and the others aren't far behind in availbility. I remember as a kid my supply drying up over winter but here the supply may be less towards the end of wet season (January) but there is never a time when I don't have seed.

Return to “Books And Links”