Quail questions

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have a week old chick it should be safe to say any remaining eggs are duds or dead in shell. Night frights can cause DIS.
Or if the birds are particularly young or old the fertility could be a little suspect. Re removing young from parents, can be done as early as they are sexable, or as late as (oops it's getting hard to tell who is who)
LML
LML
flap

I was reading on internet today that they are independent at 6 weeks (at least the chinese painted quails). at what age are they sexable?
flaP
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

chinese painted ARE king quails. They are sexable at around 7-8 weeks, when they're feathers start coming properly. by the way, they often have 'phantom bibs', where it looks like a bib but isn't.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
FinchFan

By referring to dust, i am saying that the yolk inside is dried.

I worked out the brown quail pair in the second aviary 'should have' produced their first bub around the same time, few days apart from the pair with the chick.

Jayburd, the parents of the single chick are silvers.

I am thinking of removing all eggs from the two aviaries, starting fresh. I guess the third egg laid is the start of a breeding cylce signaling that the two eggs are no good!

Thanks for the replies

Edited to add: Today i removed all eggs out of the aviaries. As i guessed, no good. I also removed the fresh one. Start again.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”