Quail questions

spanna

flab wrote: With the mortality rate, any idea what it is due to?
agree with jay. ive found that high mortality rates only occur with the first one or maybe 2 clutches a hen has. also, be aware that some males will be aggressive towards their chicks for some reason and may need removing. mine are great dads now though, mean dads dont get a second chance, one attacked chick=permanent place in the holding aviary.
flap

Well the latest update is that yesterday there were 5 eggs and I expected her to lay again today. We had thrown a bit of nesting material nearby the other day though they hadn't touched it. I went to check before if she had laid her egg for today, and realised that she has pulled the straw over the corner where the eggs are and I could see her little eye through the straw. So it looks like she may have started sitting. :D She is putting our other birds to shame... :)
Hoping to get some fluffy bumblebees in a couple of weeks and in the meantime we will add wire to the bottom section of the safety door to stop any chicks getting through the mesh. Getting a bit excited, hope we actually get some results this time!
flaP
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D :D
good luck, how long has she been sitting? it can take from 16 - 22 days after incubation begins for them to hatch.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
flap

Thanks Jay. She started sitting today. I have read 16 days, but need to read up more so we are prepared (eg what food to have for her and later for the chicks).
flaP
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cool :D
yeah, 16 days is the norm, but sometimes weather conditions can extend it.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
FinchFan

I too am new to Quails. I have a silver pair in one aviary with a grand nest in the corner, 7 eggs. The Lady has just started sitting 'full time since the start of the weekend' and her mate is still vocal. They have such a unique sounding 'mating call' as a visitor suggested. Come running into the house and told me - the quails are mating.... come and listen to them.

In my second aviary i have a pair of browns. Not much of a nest, bit of straw underneith. Two eggs. No sides built, but she's happy enough. Is now sitting full time.

The bonus is with that aviary is that the sides are covered in colourbond half way up. May keep the young'uns safe. The other aviary has lazerlight, should keep them safe also, hopefully.

I look forward to comparing notes!
flap

Yes, it will be fun to compare notes. So far ours has been sitting for 2 days. Yesterday she pulled some of the straw we threw nearby over the eggs to provide a little hideout for her also. the male hangs around a little distance away.
she has 6 eggs. our aviary has mesh sides but we added alsonite to the sides. only thing is, there is a gap between mesh and alsonite and if we do get chicks hatching, they could end up in between.... not much we can do about it at the moment. counting down...
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't forget to make sure your water bowls are drown proof as they are sods for committing suicide by water bowl. When they have chicks the parents like weeds, roots and all so they can pick through the dirt on the roots for minute bugs.
LML
LML
FinchFan

Thanks Finchbreeder, how do you make the water supply 'drown proof'?
flap

FinchFan - from what I hear, putting marbles or pebbles into water bowl so it is very shallow.
flaP

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”