quail roost

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont own any quail but other half comes home from work with a large terracotta urn which he reckons is going to be a home( laid on its side) for the quail :?: So am wondering if I throw some swamp grass in there will they use it to roost in or just to get out of the weather ?
Urn will be in the corner of the aviary just in case anyone thought I was going to do a Bonsai Kitty.( which is a hoax before I get into strife over that ) :roll: :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

My experience is they have a tiny head and a smaller brain.Bet $5 that they nest behind or beside it or in a corner.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK so put the swamp grass in the corner behind the urn :lol: gotta tell you the only time Ive had quail was when I was a kid and my Dad had them , they would pick at one poor little bird till it was dead or removed from the aviary then move on to another , not a big fan here.
David Brent
FinchFan

I too have a half terracotta pot laying on my aviary floor. Decorative, as the quails have made their nest in the back corner. Have only seen the pair walk through it a few times...
Diane

When I first got my quail, I tried all kinds of stuff for them. The thing that seems most popular is anything that has a sort of brush screen.
So in one aviary there is a decorative barrel on its side with swamp grass inside and some branches propped up against the front, one clutch raised and a second clutch of 6 or 7 eggs in there now.
In the other aviary is a little woven rattan bird house with swamp grass and the hen is sitting on who know how many eggs, again the branches propped up against the front.
You can see the hen in there.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Di Ill try to do a camouflage thing with the urn , I have one of those bird roosts I was going to hang to see if any of the finches liked it ...least now if they dont like it then quail will.
David Brent
Diane

My only suggestion would be to really cover the roof area too. I didnt :oops: and its driving me crazy seeing the poop on the top and not being able to clean it. :evil: Those hatching dates cant come quick enough. I did think about covering it all up now but Im worried in case they desert the nests. Wont forget that lesson in a hurry.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive found a few terracotta bits and pieces for the aviary which Ive put on the grass and cleaned up ..Hubby remarks "what are you doing they are only going to sxxt on it anyway " ....so true but at least till the birds go in it will be squeeky clean. :lol:
David Brent
flap

Hubby had done a lovely little "cave" of wire and bark but they didn't spend much time. The hen chose to put her eggs in the back corner of the aviary. Once I threw some straw around she has gathered it around to make a little hide of sorts. I like Di's rattan bird house. where did you buy it?
flaP
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bunnings has the bird house and I also got a cane hanging feeder with a metal insert ...too cute to resist $9.00 each roughly less with staff discount :lol:
David Brent

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”