what are these please?

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As someone who has been breeding them for over 25 yrs and has seen a very wide variation in shadings of cinnamon in that time. And a bit of a range in silver too for that matter. I sure would not bet on it. But each to their own way of sexing early.
LML
LML
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well I've found that (after 20+ batches with many cinnamons bred) this is an easy way of early sexing, and I haven't so far been wrong when I've seen the white... but true, each to their own, some people swear on the gold ring on a human hair theory.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I ruined the faultless sexing of baby people by ring on a hair theory of someone who did that for years without getting it wrong by producing the opposite to what she predicted for me 19 years ago too. :oops: It could be that you have a "true to breeding" bloodline Jay.
LML
LML
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Havent seen them except when they scoot past me or if I have the hose in changing the water ( the silver loves water ). So dont know what markings they have .
Not real worried they were only bought to clean up seed and to look at wasnt contemplating breeding them anyway , maybe later Ill get some photos for another look at them.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just reach in put a net or your hand over them, upend :whoa: and look underneath for chestnut feathering.
LML
LML
nathan morley

Yes there is a way to bluebutterfly to tell the difference inbertween males an female silver king quails the male has a black an silver bib under his chin.
VinceS

Heck I know it is an old topic but this is the only relevant one search throws up and already has some good info in it, just looking for a bit more please if someone could be so kind.

I have only ever kept standard king quail. With this month old aviary I put a king male and two females. One of the females committed hari-kari in the pond so i changed the fountain type which I think caused the situation and got a pair of young silver king quail. Bugger me one of them drowned in the pond on the second night in some ferocious weather, it obviously hadn't found its bearings so now there is a mesh cover on the pond. But I'm left with this one silver which I suspect from its behaviour is most likely to be female but not sure as every now and again it spends time alone. Can anyone tell from this composite of not exactly fabulous photos? Streuth, the 640 pixel width limit doesn't leave much scope to identify things, oh well here it is:

Oh, if it is a female should I get another silver male or just let them go harem style? Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some days are Diamonds some days are Zebs. Sometimes the coccidiosis won't leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my Gouldians. But any day with my finches is a day without stones.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 males will fight...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
SamDavis

You've got a silver HEN (and a pair of normals). I'd just leave them as a trio. Males can often be brutal to each other. And don't worry about the few that drowned you'll have hundreds of them shortly - they breed like flies!

Another thing Vince - watch your pond. The chicks are completely stupid and will drown in a dew drop if you're not careful! Even 5mm of water in a pond will mean no more buzzing from the cute little bumble bee chicks.

Return to “Anything else”