Quail Calls

kimberley breeder

Does anyone elses King Quails call out at night?? Ive had quails for years but these 2 males seem to call out a lot during the night? Im hoping this is normal and not an alarm call of some sort.
James

The one's I had did
Not sure if it was an alarm call or not
spanna

happens when males are lonely during breeding season, usually at the start of it in my experience. mine do it sometimes, can attract cats, and has before in my case. but you just need to keep an eye out, don't panic lol
kimberley breeder

Of course! You are probably right! I have 2 males in seperate aviaries at the moment. When I was in Perth last month I couldnt ge any females! Hopefully soon though!
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep spanna's right.
they call a LOT when they are in breeding mode, and also when a member of their flock gets separated from them.
I remember regrettably having to sell one of the most popular members of my flock - they sure let me know that it was NOT OK BY THEM!!!!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
spanna

kimberley breeder wrote:Of course! You are probably right! I have 2 males in seperate aviaries at the moment. When I was in Perth last month I couldnt ge any females! Hopefully soon though!
:lol: i hate that. when i was looking to get some quails a while back nobody had any!! ive got quails coming out me ears now though, let me know when you're back down and i'll set you up if you'd like some. have normals and some silvers.
kimberley breeder

Thnaks Spanna- I see you have Diamonds as well! Will you be selling any young soon??
spanna

happy to sell as soon as they start colouring up, another few weeks i'd say. best time to pair them up as well. all my young diamonds are related (though i have another couple of pairs hiding away in the brush, hoping for hungry squawks soon and that the others got the drift of how to successfully raise a nest :lol: ), but you're welcome to a couple if you can source some others from somewhere else :)

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”