Little Button Quail question

mr.fox

yep, another Little button question. For all you guys out there with some experience with Button quail, how do I solve the problem of male Button quail leaving the nest before the full clutch has hatched?
My good old male has the annoying habit of running off with the first chick that hatches, leaving the remaining eggs and any half hatched chicks. Have thought about maybe surrounding him and the nest site in a small enclosure of some sort but don't want to disturb him when he's sitting. Any ideas or experience in this matter?
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

is it a young bird....you can have teething problems like this with young birds, i should suggest you get another male if you havnt already and just swap the hen from cage to cage , might increase your chances....pete
mr.fox

nah, this particular male is 2-3 year old and has had many cluthches previously. Just getting frustrated with the fact that he won't stay with the remaining eggs/chicks. Got one little fella here in the brooder that I rescued today. Will pop him out with dad and the other chick tomorrow morning if he's strong enough. Not much chance of hand rearing these little guys I'm afraid.
Pete Sara

well a clucky bantom chicken or a hen king quail could do the trick but they do require a bit of live food dont they

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”