My Raised Garden (UPDATED)

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Misso

have been meaning to post this for awhile, finally got around to doing it.

taken a few photo's of my raised garden bed which i have planted, Johnson grass, Guinea grass, African veldt Grass, Swamp grass, pak choy, bok choy, Cos Lettuce, Endive, Russian Kale and silver beat. most of the vegies are in pots since iv got not much room for them in the vegie garden.

this pic below is Guinea Grass which i purchesed from the Ballarat Bird sale this yr, it was tiny when i brought it and is now growing nicely!

this is alittle hard to see but it is swamp grass seed, abit of it grew when some nesting material made its way into the garden in front of the aviary so have moved it into the raised bed

Below is my Johnson Grass which is taking off!!! have 3 other plants growing a little slower behind this one.

alittle hard to see, but iv got tons of African Veldt Grass which i get sooo much seed heads off!

another view of the raised garden bed and on the right u can see my stand which iv got most of my veggie pots sitting on

and finally some pics of my New Guinea Palm Grass which i have 5 plants around the back of the garden one is just starting to grow some seed

the last pic is one with a tomato stake thingy around it, im going to see if i can train it to grow upright as iv seen in some pics in the Just Finches magazine with what look like New Guinea Palm Grass that is grown tall in aviairies.

some of the names iv given the plants may very according to what state your in?

gouldian season 2011 will be with plenty of greens!!!

Jarryd :)
Last edited by Misso on 10 Dec 2011, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FINCH NIRVANA .............. that should make them very happy little birds :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

Very nice. Ive been growing Johnston grass too, have had some success with that. Will have to get some of the African Veldt grass, have you got the botanical name?
Im trying to grow some guinea grass, but the dogs think they are lawn mowers, they have taken a liking to the leaves :problem: so I havent had any seed heads from that yet. Will have to get really serious about stopping the dogs knocking the wire fence off the plant.
Hubby will be putting in some silver beet, so I might try growing the bok choy, pak choy, endive and leb cucumber. I might try growing some of the swamp grass too.
Ive picked up some other seed heads, some that was just hanging over a garden fence in Tanunda, and some more from the side of the road on the way to Victor Harbour, that one had seed heads already on it and made the whole plant look a reddish colour.
I havent fed these to the birds, Im trying to get them to grow.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Misso

bluebutterfly213 wrote:Very nice. Ive been growing Johnston grass too, have had some success with that. Will have to get some of the African Veldt grass, have you got the botanical name?
Im trying to grow some guinea grass, but the dogs think they are lawn mowers, they have taken a liking to the leaves :problem: so I havent had any seed heads from that yet. Will have to get really serious about stopping the dogs knocking the wire fence off the plant.
Hubby will be putting in some silver beet, so I might try growing the bok choy, pak choy, endive and leb cucumber. I might try growing some of the swamp grass too.
Ive picked up some other seed heads, some that was just hanging over a garden fence in Tanunda, and some more from the side of the road on the way to Victor Harbour, that one had seed heads already on it and made the whole plant look a reddish colour.
I havent fed these to the birds, Im trying to get them to grow.
sorry di, dont know the botanical name, but it grows allll over the place here in vic!

i plan on posting more pics on this topic when the johnson and guinea grass starts to seed!!

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Them is not weeds Jarryd. :shifty: Them is highly desirable garden plants. :thumbup: Or that's what us finchos tend to tell our other halfs. :clap:
LML
LML
snap_point

Them some quality feed right there, got my crop starting now.
The missus said today "can you please throw out these pots with weeds in them the plants have died" ........... um that's bird Maccas right there I told her!!
Andrew

Finch lover since day dot!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bird Maccs. Will have to remember that one. :D
LML
LML
Misso

WOW! what a difference a year can make, with the recent posting of other members photo's of johnson grass etc, thought id better take some snap shops. so please have a look and compare the size difference from 2010 to now, its amazing :) that Guinea Grass was purchased at Ballarat in 2010 and you can see the size in the first post, it was smaller then that when i purchased it, now its gone crazy!!!! sooo many seed heads! so when i went to geelong sale this yr and saw some in pots for sale i pounced lol..... i decided to throw some more in the raised garden bed and then at the ballarat sale this yr i purchased some more, the good thing about this last purchase was i was able to divide the small pots of guinea grass and get 3 or so plants from each pot, so i potted them into their own bigger pots and as you go thru the pictures you will see how they look :)

Johnson grass just starting to seed now, will post more pics in 2 weeks to show u the massive seed heads.

its a jungle now.... i used to be able to walk between the house and garden bed... not anymore hehehe

these 2 guinea grass were purchased at geelong at the start of the yr, they will kick on soon.

12 or so pots of guinea grass, fingers crossed they grow just as big as the ones in the garden bed

close up view of guinea grass plant.

Close up view of guinea grass seed head,

close up view of johnson grass seed head.

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guinea Grass sure grows well with not much care. I got 3 small plants off my mother about 18 months ago, now hubby is complaining about the fire hazzard by the back fence. :oops:
LML
LML
mattymeischke

Looks amazing, Jarryd.
Happy birdies like to settle down and make babies; should be a good year for you! :cloppy:
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Types of plants”