Injured quail chick

flap

Tonight I found one of our young (3 week old) quail chicks in a corner of the aviary. I thought he was dead, turns out he wasn't but looks like he has been pecked around the head/eye. I am guessing it might have been dad and probably no coincidence that the injured chick is a male. I have picked him up and put him in hospital cage with heat light and some water. I haven't had a close look at the injury yet, I am unsure what to do. Is it best to let him be and see if he pulls through?
Also should I remove all the chicks. or just the males?
thank you for any advice!
flaP
Diane

I would take the male out as soon as possible. I also kept separating the males from the females as they coloured up I didnt want to be inundated with eggs and chicks.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

Thanks BB. We took the second male chick out. Will dad hurt the female chicks??? or just the males? Also any suggestions on treatment? the chick was badly pecked around the head, not sure if his eye has been damaged yet.

last clutch we took the chicks out earlier. Because dad has been fine with them we let our guard down this time... :(
flaP
Diane

I wouldn't give him the chance. I found it really weird, one day fine and the next chicks attacked, no chasing or running around to indicate there could be a problem brewing. One male I had was the same, son with him and getting colour, everything fine for weeks even with the youngster colouring up, then one day found the youngster with a bloody patch on his back. Never saw any chasing or ruffled feathers at all. :purplex:
Diane
flap

Mmmm. Might try and catch the parents in the morning then. As for eggs and chicks, I have started removing the eggs she lays to avoid that.
flaP
Redwing

Flab first priorities are warmth dark and quiet. You could probably leave his head wounds till the morning as cleaning them up will just add more stress at this point. If he survives the night saline would be OK to use and you'll be able to check out his eye with a torch by that stage to see if there's any obvious damage.
Depends how long he'd been lying there he will be dehydrated, even if it wasn't long shock and pain would contribute to it. Once he's warmed up you could try giving him some fluids (tiny amount as you don't want him to choke) and if you've got some Spark that would be even better. Leaving some for him ready for the morning as you've done is also good.
First thing in the morning he will then need calouries, particularly as he's still young. Would he eat better if the other young male was in with him? Otherwise you'll need to feed him.
Is this the sort of info and detail you were asking for? Can add more if you need it.
flap

Hi Redwing, yes this is the kind of information I was after. I think we have some saline solution in our 1st aid kit. Like you suggested, we also thought he would be better left alone in the hospital cage to recover from the shock (hopefully). He is keeping the wounds away from view so we cannot check without handling him. I was also planning on using Spark in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions, will PM if I need more information.
flaP
Redwing

OK Flab, up for another hour, so will keep an eye on computer. Much will depend on his general condition in morning. Good Luck
Diane

How is the youngster this morning?
Diane
flap

Just had a close look. Looks like he has lost both eyes and hubby thinks part of the skull is exposed. Decided to take him to vet to be put down as the only humane thing to do. :sob: Feel awful. Right now I really dislike the parents....
flaP

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”