diamond firetail mutations

Includes Species Profile
COUNTRY CAPITAL

just wondering if any forum members have any "different"diamonds in their collections :?:
i have seen pieds with 40-50% white and they are quite striking.
also a yellow/orange variant on the net where they are normally red.

my reason for this post is i have a small colony that breed quite well and approx. 12 months ago a "silver" fledgling appeared!
from day one it was obviously different to its siblings, being much lighter in colour even before it attained its adult colours.
it turned out to be a hen and has just fledged 2 young from its first nest.the young appear to be "normals" but may be "splits"? she only had normal cocks to pair with so i expect maybe all young will be normal,but remain hopeful.
by the way i still have the parents who raised the bird in question so maybe they may produce another surprize.

i have seen only one record/photo of a silver diamond,on the net from the usa i think.

a fellow breeder with pied diamonds is keen for me to sell her to him but i think i will hold on to her......wouldnt know what to charge for her :!:

anyway, should i pair her up with one of her offspring to increase my chances or leave her be :?:
any advice will be welcome.

country capital.

p.s. i know now i will have to sort out the photo sharing to show you all....... one day soon.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
garymc

I haven't heard of silvers before - there are also a fawn and a cinammon mutations about.

To produce more "silvers" in the shortest time frame you would pair her father (ie you get a mature pairing). Pairing her to a son would also work but the son may need a bit of time to mature. If this is your preferred option keep her breeding with her current mate for a few more rounds whilst her son matures.

Be good to see some pics

Good luck with them
Diane

A silver diamond, we really need a pic of that!

In the September Newsletter there is a very good article by Mike Fidler on establishing a new mutation.
If you would like copy of the newsletter sent to you just let me know by pm.

To load a pic
Just below where you write your message post see the
Upload attachment button, click,
click Browse, that opens a box that lets you locate your pic on your computer
choose pic, click "add file" and its loaded onto the forum,
then just choose where in your post you want the pic to appear.
Any problems, shout out. :D

No excuses now :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Lukec

COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:just wondering if any forum members have any "different"diamonds in their collections :?:
i have seen pieds with 40-50% white and they are quite striking.
also a yellow/orange variant on the net where they are normally red.

my reason for this post is i have a small colony that breed quite well and approx. 12 months ago a "silver" fledgling appeared!
from day one it was obviously different to its siblings, being much lighter in colour even before it attained its adult colours.
it turned out to be a hen and has just fledged 2 young from its first nest.the young appear to be "normals" but may be "splits"? she only had normal cocks to pair with so i expect maybe all young will be normal,but remain hopeful.
by the way i still have the parents who raised the bird in question so maybe they may produce another surprize.

i have seen only one record/photo of a silver diamond,on the net from the usa i think.

a fellow breeder with pied diamonds is keen for me to sell her to him but i think i will hold on to her......wouldnt know what to charge for her :!:

anyway, should i pair her up with one of her offspring to increase my chances or leave her be :?:
any advice will be welcome.

country capital.

p.s. i know now i will have to sort out the photo sharing to show you all....... one day soon.
DONT LET ANY OF THEM GO AND TREAT THEM LIKE GOLD!

Use Mike fidlers article and if unsure maybe even reach out to mike via email, he is a genuine bloke and probably has the most experience in establishing mutations.

Send him a pic to validate your discussion though.

GOOD LUCK

M
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ye, what luke said.
I have heard of silvers there are pictures in Kingston's new book.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
arthur

Had the youngster been a male then both the parents would have been splits . . ie A/S Recessive

But since it is a hen the mutation may be either A/S Recessive or Sex-linked Recessive . . where the father is a split

Either way putting her back to her father would be the "quickest" way to go . . . but dont forget to outcross when you have a few to play with . . and certainly try to avoid full-brother to full-sister pairings . . get a few from father/ daughter in case you lose one or both . . and then show restraint by doing the outcross thing when you know the mode of transmission

If it is A/S Recessive . .

Father(split) x Daughter(mutation) ---> 25% mutation cocks + 25% split cocks + 25% mutation hens + 25% split hens

If it is Sex-linked Recessive

Father(split) x Daughter(mutation) ---> 25% mutation cocks + 25% split cocks + 25% mutation hens + 25% normal hens

As you can see . . Both pairings give similar (but not identical) results which make it impossible to know the method of transmission, without other experimental matings

But hey,what the hell . .The important thing is to get the mutation established . .We'll worry about the rest later!!

PS I probably agree with Gary . .You've got a breeding pair that is producing clour . . Couldnt really ask for a lot more and if you keep getting mutations that are hens, then you will know tht it is a S/L mutation
arthur

Further . . the mutation hen with a normal cock (which you have now) is not a good pairing whether A/S or S/L

In the A/S all young will be guaranteed splits

In the S/L all cocks are guaranteed splits and all hens are guaranteed normal

You will never get colour from this pair of birds . .

But DO keep all the young till you know the mutation type you are dealing with as they wil be (apart from the normal hens which we cant distinguish yet) useful later on

Its a bit of a hard road when you've got the only one and you dont really know the type of mutation that you are dealing with

Best of luck to you!!
Diane

Realised you cant access pms until 5 posts. So if you want a copy of the September newsletter just post a request here
Diane
COUNTRY CAPITAL

A copy of the newsletter would be great thanks.
:lol: it doesnt take much to get you guys excited...... will keep you posted.

thanks for all the good advice re modes of inheritance etc.

still haggling with the photos.....wish i had a 10 year old.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Diane

Newsletter sent :D
If you want you can send the pics to me via email and I will load them on the forum under your name so you can add any wording you want.
Diane

Return to “Diamond Firetail”