diamond firetail mutations

Includes Species Profile
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

takes not much to get us excited maybe, but mutation diamonds are sure something.
I saw some fawn/normal and all - fawn pairs at the August Canberra bird sale, but not buying so none bought by me. About $120 p/pair.
Saw a single silver diamond there too, snaffled up in seconds for $220 each.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'M not even into Diamonds and I'm excited. Just love the challenge of establishing a mutation of any kind. Also love preserving the originals. Follow Arther's advice and keep us posted. We love our fixes. :D
LML
LML
COUNTRY CAPITAL

bird photos 2010 145.jpg
bird photos 2010 163.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh so tempting. Going to go and list the reasons I should not let myself be tempted. :oops: Beautiful finches, good luck establishing them in your avaries.
LML
LML
spanna

thats a nice looking bird that is. according to Russel Kingstons new book, that would be a "Silver form". apparently Vince Axiak in Sydney is trying to establish them as well.

from Russel Kingston, The Finch; A Breeders Companion:
"best described as a dilute. the entire colours are paler and in sunlight the bird has a 'silver' sheen"

might be worth trying to contact this Vince Axiak and getting some new blood...
arthur

Didnt see Jay's post, must have gone on while writing mine . .

If they are mentioned in RKs book, he probably gives the mode of inheritance . .

If this is the case Jay, could you let us know?
COUNTRY CAPITAL

hope you can view the photos(thanks bluebutterfly)....im no framed as you will see.

now i have a new set of problems.....
I do not have bengalese or other foster birds to go down that path ..... nor the desire to produce this way.
Also the bird in question is in a 8 pair colony..... determining her father is akin to winning lotto!!!
I have another aviary nearly ready to move some into, the young and her. I am loathe to break up the pair however as i have tried selective breeding before with diamonds and they often shut up shop when these "arranged liasons" are made for them.I will have to try one more time though....
I think i will take garymc's advice and let her produce 1-2 more nests while the first young mature.

From Mike Fidlers research with gouldians, mutations are inherently weak but so far this diamond and the colony for that matter appear robust."Silver" is a large bird for a hen and they have just come through a wet winter with no losses to date.

thanks again for all the advice/interest.

will try to keep you posted "going forward"......

country capital
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Diane

RK book
He doesn't give the mode of inheritance, he just says that "best describes as a dilute"
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
GregH

I think what makes mutations weak is the amount of inbreeding that goes on in order to get the mutation to express itself. If a more diverse group was introgressed with the suspected mutant gene then the weakness wouldn't occurr however aviculturists don't want to wait 5 years to see the fruits of their endevour they want that mutation now and as many as they can get.
Last edited by GregH on 09 Sep 2010, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
iaos

great looking bird. Good luck trying to work out which one the male is :) . It will be better if you can, otherwise you might end up with an aviary of possible spilts.

I know very little about mutations, but I suspect the reason that random mutes sometimes turn up is that the parents are somewhat related (unintentionally).

Return to “Diamond Firetail”