diamond firetail mutations

Includes Species Profile
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it is a recessive gene. Mother would also be carrying it. So just in case it would be wise to put coloured identification rings on all your Diamonds. And try to put the mother to one of Silvers full brothers. PS don't forget to ring all of Silvers children from batch 1 with the same coloured rings, unless you are ready to ring every bird differently and keep full records. Alternatively 2 avairys silver and her daughters in one with previous cocks. Her sons in one with previous hens. And cross your fingers that the random selections they make are the right ones. Good luck.
LML
LML
iaos

How are the plans coming along to develop this mutation? :)

Cheers
Ian
COUNTRY CAPITAL

Gday Iaos
I'm taking the advice of garymc and others by leaving the silver hen with its current mate until the 2 young mature.
she is nesting again but not sure as to progress as i dont nest inspect and have had little time to observe them just lately :oops: will hopefully be able to tell of more fledglings soon.
i am unsure of the sex of her young as yet.
in the past month or so 2 other clutches have fledged from the colony so there are some young about at the moment.
i have separated them to another aviary,they colour up quickly this time of year and are nearing mature colouring.

one thing i noticed while catching up the other youngsters is a slight orange tinge to the red tail feathering on 1-2 individuals.this may be only immature colouring but will monitor them as they mature.so no young for sale for a while until i work out whats what.
one bird i offered for sale 2 years ago got a lot of attention at the time as it appeared to have an slight orange tinge to its upper tail coverts,not suprisingly it was snapped up quickly as i sold it for the same price as all the others....
maybe the colony needs more new bloodlines as close relation pairing may be the reason for these "different" diamonds.
now is probably not the time to introduce any normal stock?
what do you think?
by the way there are 8 pairs in the colony now + young.

country capital
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would ring them as previously suggested. And not introduce new birds. Unless you can get another silver. :soppy:
Glad to here they are doing OK.
LML
LML
Shark

I bred about 30 yellows a few years back, I bred them for a while but am not into mutations sold the lot eventually. i will post some pics as soon as I'm allowed
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Think you have now reached that stage Shark. Look forward to seeing them.
LML
LML
Shark

heres a few pics of the orange diamonds

as you can see they were very easy to sex the shades of orange were quite different you can also easily sex the reds by photographing them and zooming in close the shades of red from male to female appear quite different then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
salaar

There we have very little. Beautiful bird. :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
natamambo

CC, what happened with these young? New mutation or "just" yellows". Did you succeed in getting it established?
Craig52

CC,what Nat said,what happened to these birds as i don't believe they are silvers but true fawns. Craig

Return to “Diamond Firetail”