Diamond Sparrows

Includes Species Profile
GregH

Given that opportunities don't come too often up here I grabbed a pair of Diamond Sparrows at one of the pet stalls in the Cartimar markets today. I see from the current price lists on AFF I paid much more than I would have in Australia (I paid PhP6500 = AUD$170). Apparently they are an unrelated pair and are 6 months old and God knows if any of that is true.

I've heard that they can be aggressive and am wondering what species would be good to have with them? I have stars, Hecks, Gouldians, zebras, double bars, cut-throats in one aviary and a selection of non-breeding, wild-caught munias (spice, white breasted, chestnut & Java sparrows) which co-habit with a pair of small native colisissi parrots (Loriculis philippinensis) in another aviary. My third aviary remains empty but I'm going to get it operational tomorrow so the diamonds don't have to stress out in my small quarantine cage for the next month. After the quarantine period I would like to introduce some other birds but I want them to be compatible and hopefully everything will breed - not that I've had any luck with the munias.

I've never fed live food before and since these diamonds are locally bred I doubt that they will require live food but will I boost my survival and reproductive rate? Any advice on this species would be appreciated.

Greg
gomer

hope you have a pr.best breed in a colony.i think they would be fine with gouldian and stars.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Will_36

I have 3 diamonds in with 14 gouldians, 2 double bars & 3 painted in a large aviary with no problems. Very nice finch to watch. They don't bother any of the other finches and are building a nest. Should be fine. My do like meal worms also.
Keeping Gouldians,Double Bars,Diamonds & Painted Finches.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gotta love the look of them they look so regal , would love to own a pair . Almost got a pair at Gunnedah Expo but seller wasnt willing to part with them without sighting Bird Keeper License ...note to self , make sure I put a copy in the car with the secauters and travel cage ..........
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i have all mine in seperate pairs its taken a while. they can be breed as a colony but i tagged mine all differnt colours and let them pick there own mates and seperated them from there. it was fun :lol: mine are not aggressive at all they can rob other nests for nesting material so have plenty on hand so hope goes well for you . i know iam looking forward to next season..pete
Mattyboy

The key with them is to let them pick their own mates.
Some specimens can be aggressive, others not. Just watch them.
GregH

Well I opted for a short quarantine 3 weeks and placed the diamonds in the aviary on Friday July 31 after I got back from Laos and today (Aug 2) I saw one bobbing up and down to the other with a bit of grass in his beak so I'm hoping that I did get a pair. Unfortunately their rarity here means there won't be a choice of mate but he's keen even if she's not (and hopefully she's not another he)! The star in the same aviary appear to be sitting so I hope they don't steal from them but there is tons of nesting material so they can be as greedy as they want.
GregH

My finger's are crossed - the female keeps disappearing into a nesting basket and the male is getting aggressive towards any other birds that come near it while he continues to look for nesting materials. I may have got lucky.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hope you have Greg, look forward to seeing pics of cock & hen with fledglings one day soon
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
gomer

And good management to i would think.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Diamond Firetail”