Pale Form of Diggles Finch

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
Fincho162

Does anyone still have these guys lurking about in their aviaries ....no idea how to post pics but just like the ones in the Readers Digest bird book (I think!!).
They are the Black rumped 'version' of the Parsons but they are a pale grey colour .......most of the Diggles I've seen lately are the same nominate 'race' as the Parson finch.......identical colour except for the rump!!
Any info about acquiring some of these guys appreciated.........or if they still exist in aviaries........
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want to be able to post pics easily then sign up for photobucket , its free and very easy ...Once you sign up Ill be happy to walk you through the process . Coz you know we just love other peeps bird pics :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

You can also post pic direct from your computer by using the "Upload attachment" tab just under where you write your post, this will open a box to allow you to find your pic on your computer then just click "add the file" and the pick gets loaded on. Then you choose where in the post you would like your pic
If you are still having trouble Im happy to post pics for you
you can get my email address by clicking the icon in my avatar.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Fincho162

This Diggles finch nominate race!!

http://members.fortunecity.com/aviarybi ... _finch.htm

Much paler than the Diggles now commonly held in aviaries..............as u can now see!!!
mickw

Part of your answer is in amongst my rambling on the other thread about Choc Parsons ........Immelmann recognised 2 forms, or subspecies of the Black rumped or Diggles Black Throat......P.cincta atropygialis...the plain old, light coloured, Diggles with a Black rump, and P. cincta nigrotecta - the dark form which, from my research is about the same colour as the Chocolate Parson which is the type for the species, P. cincta cincta

The whole sub-specification (?) of Black throats is intriguing, somewhat confusing. It actually goes back to one of the guys who did the naming of our birds, Matthews. He spent about 20 years in the field and 40 collecting, analysing, and writing......he is widely recognised as probably the most extensively experienced, but also as going a bit silly with taxonomy and naming........In any case, its somewhat academic when applied to captive populations. Think about your own collections of finches and how you can identify individuals by slight, sometimes even quite dramatic colour variations..........well, now apply this concept of variation to the wild.....in Black throats case they occupied a bloody big area.......half of queensland & maybe 20% of NSW.........thats alot of country with evolution going on in abundance for 100's of thousands of generations.........pretty likely that the gene pool in Tenterfield didnt mix with those around Rockhampton, let alone Townsville, Mt Isa, Charlesville, Cairns, the Cape or the Carpentarian coast....so there would be huge geographic variation aswell as variation within the flock :crazy: ............except for maybe half a dozen breeders, there is no way known we can trace the birds in our cages back to their geographic origin......we would have to start with wild-caught ones..........then & only then could we confidentaly place them into one or the other sub-species...................even our black rumps and white rumps have been mixed a bit as you say........if you're producing darker Diggles, then there's a fair bet you've got a strong tendency towards P.c.nigotecta (Cape York) genetic stock........if there's a subtle mixture of dark & lighter, we have fruit salad :?.......still good for ya ;)
dano_68

Hello Fincho162!

We meet again lol - and I have been asking around town if anyone has those left but it aint looking good :think:
Fincho162

Story of my life Dano..........every time I pick a "cheapie" this happens!!!

There are actually in excess of 6 races of these guys if my info/research is correct............trust me to pick this particular one to "find"!!
A friend who used to muster in the Gulf country described a very small race with an oversized bib and a very dark, almost black colouration......very localised and rare on the ground.............the Parsons he brought back from up there are the same colour as the Diggles now being offered around.....identical save for the tail colour..........

Much appreciated my friend and keep hunting............we aint beaten yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fireback

i have observed this subspecies of Diggles and white eared masks. On pig hunting trips along the Gilbert river near George town in the Gulf.
i have not seen these birds in captivity for along time. Cheers.
Danny

Fincho162 wrote:There are actually in excess of 6 races of these guys if my info/research is correct!
There used to be - now it's just the two - everything else is just a difference in shade but genetically the same.
Fincho162

My "informants" info based on their geographical locations still suggest otherwise sir!!

Return to “Black Throated”