Masked Finch

Normal and White Eared.
Includes Species Profiles.
GregH

For what it's worth (nothing!) I went into Cartimar (Manila pet market) today and they had a "pair" of Masked finches for PhP5500 (=AUD$134.50) and I was assured that they were easy to sex since the males have a more extensive mask. After reading this thread I'm not so sure but since I haven't seen this species for about 12 months and having done the currency conversion I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and get them.
gomer

They are the same as alot of monomorphic finches i think.Some you can look at and say yeah that i think in a pr no worries.Others you look at and think is that a hen or cock.As Keven said look at the beak.Also generally the head can be more bullish.

Some i got DNA ed.You cant see the difference in the mask,Also the head and beak is little difference on some.Maybe I should use a vernia to mesure :lol:
Got five hens and nine cocks with the we masks.maybe i should have done it myself,the numbers may have been a little more even :lol:
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

how easy are masked finches to breed?

I'm thinking about getting some WE maskeds later this year...

do they have any special dietary requirements?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
gomer

Same as my others,A good seed mix,either mealworm or maggots,The usual stuff.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
wazza

it is like most finches if you get a good pair you will do well. I have one pair at the moment that has raised 20 young this season and still going.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well done Wazza :D
just the sort of birds I want :roll:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mickw

Go for them.......I have White Eared Masks.....very hardy and very good natured....if anything, a bit too easily bossed around......I have a pr of Stars in with my 3pr WE Masks.....I'm letting the stars finish weaning their young & then they're going into the flight next door.....the WE MAsks have perched 2 young, built a number of nests and laid but I think are being hassled too much by the Stars.........their nests are brilliant......in clumps of growing grasses, right near the floor......though the one that produced the young was a heap of bracken fern stuffed into a cylinder of chook wire standing on the ground.....the nest was about 1/2 m off the ground.

They must have white-ants when breeding. I give termites to mine every morning, they eat less at the moment as they arent feeding young anymore.........I give mine charcoal, they pick at it but havent seemed to use any in nests as most people observe........but mind you, I havent pulled a nest apart to check for sure.

I feed green seed heads, thistles, silverbeet and cucumber every morning and a good dry mix which actually sprouts!...........all the pet shop stuff is irradiated or something, but I know an old dealer who gets the good stuff fresh from a guy out west......very good seed!......I also sprout this seed and feed a small amount each morning...............as an aside, my stars and Blue faced parrot finches love their sprouted seed the most.

I dont bother with mealworms for the MAsks.........termites are easier for me and the birds prefer them.

They go off when I put anything new in, especially white feathers...........

I dont claim to know sexes............I like the idea of throwing 6 birds together and letting them sort themselves out............I've rung mine and observe them courting........the hen does a tail quiver to invite copulation........one of those hens is dead-set brighter, bigger, yellower beak, bigger mask, etc, etc, than the others.........DNA would probably confirm.......though I have seen her/him wearing leather pants and riding a BMW motorcycle ;) :roll: , and that pair hasnt produced any young yet :problem:
wagga

I agree that termites are the best type of live food. That is if you can get or want to use them. I originally purchased termite bred birds a couple of years ago. They only bred occasionally, no termites feed in my aviaries, with small clutch sizes. I persisted and kept the young ones paired them up or swapped with friends. Started my own non termite bred colony. This new colony has produced 20 plus young ones on the perch this season. I tried the same method on the w/e with around 25 on the perch, so far. The point I am trying to make is by persisting with your own blood lines with occasional new birds introduced I have found that they reproduce more chicks as they only know your conditions and diet etc.
Are they easy to breed. I have bred in two years about 70 birds between the normals and w/e from 8 pairs all up. Nothing is easy but in the right conditions we can be lucky. In comparison my good friend who lives close by has only bred about 20 with the same amount of birds and diet etc. He normally breeds 200 plus birds in his aviaries a year.
They are must have bird for me. I have a preference to the w/e as they are not as common as we think. So buy some and have a go.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “Masked”