Masked Finch

Normal and White Eared.
Includes Species Profiles.
wilsta

Has anyone one on here had much success with the Masked Finch? its one of my favourite's and would be interested to get some. Are they easy to keep? house? feed? breed? etc is there any complications or requirements of this humble little gem!
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a great bird. I havent had any trouble with mine. they are kept in a mixed aviary with chestnuts, gouldians, emblemas & red faced p/inches. like most birds they dont like to many intrusions when nesting. a good seed mix, green food. only seem to consume livefood when they have young in the nest. as for nests they seem happy with whatever is available & if materials are available will build their own
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
dRAG_jUNKIE

I got my pair about 3 months ago, they're a terrific little bird. Mine are in a mixed aviary, no problem with them getting along with the other birds. They aren't really fussed on live food, but they will have a termite or to every now and again. Mine like to sleep in a cane basket at night time, sometimes a cordon will join them. They are very fond of the bird bath aswell. They really are a very great finch, easy to care for and hassle free. Would definately recommend them to anyone who is considering keeping them. I plan to get another pair later on in the year. :D
Keeping: fresh air 😅
gomer

I have had some success with the mask,And very good success with the we mask.I think i have done better with the we,because they are dna prs.They all get the same diet off my mix off dry seeds and chitted seed.And meal worms occasionally with maggots daily.some nest in brush some poa grass.They are light sitters.And a underated finch I think.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

would love to get some masks, particularly the white ears!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
wilsta

Its fairly difficult to determine the sex of the mask finch is there any other indications to tell what sex the bird is with out dna testing?
dRAG_jUNKIE

I reckon the easiest ways are the sizes of the bird, cocks are a little bigger and the reach of the mask, the cocks comes further back than the hens. I'm only new to masks so some of the other members might have better more reliable ways.
Keeping: fresh air 😅
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

safest way by far is DNA.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
gomer

I am waiting on results for 17 young birds now,At $14.90 a bird i think its cheap insurance,Especially because they are not the cheapest bird.But they are not to expensive either.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Keven S

DNA :?: W/E Masks are quite easy to sex once they have coloured up the hens beak is quite noticeably narrower at the base than the cock bird .
The only problem I have had with them is not to shift them away from there parents to early , I have found that they are best left alone untill they have taken full colour as they seem to be full on stress freaks :lol:
They are a good natured mixed aviary bird and breed freely but just love to breed out doors if you have any form of seeding grass in your open flight area .

Return to “Masked”